Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me figure out which one to get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me figure out which one to get.

So I have a Smoke and was wondering if I should get the gateway for it or should I go with a Fire board ? truth is I will probably end up with both but I just wanted some opinions on which is more robust or piratical for grilling.

I have the same dilemma. I like the Smoke but, as you know, it's limited to two probes. When using the grate temperature probe its effectively a one probe thermo device. The gateway doesn't over come that fact. With the Fireboard you get the app capabilities and numerous probe ports. Of course you're looking at almost twice the cost. I'm hoping Santa brings my Fireboard as I asked for. If you can afford it, step up imo.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I sent out a hint or three for the Fireboard as well... in the form of a very very subtle email with a link to the product!

Ah, like the word piratical, you scurvy dogs you. Anyways, get both.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye, Troutman. By hook or crook & you definitely know about hooks matey!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Time for some piratization!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      Drinking rum before 10AM makes you a pirate, not a drunk! Or... in my case, this morning, whiskey. Elijah Craig, to be exact!

Well, if you already have the Smoke, the practical (versus piratical) thing to do is get the Gateway for now..... and get the Fireboard for yourself next year. The Fireboard has a lot going for it, but unless you NEED up to 6 probes right now, the Smoke Gateway gets you to remote monitoring for a little under half the cost. The biggest thing I would like the Fireboard for is the waterproof probes, but I've been using Thermoworks probes all year and have not killed one (yet).

The things I smoke in large quantities are butts, ribs, and chickens. For the butts I just put the probe in the largest one on the cooker, and you don't put a probe in ribs. For chicken if they are the same size, they are all going to hit temp around the same time. I set the Smoke alarm to 160F, and then use the Thermopen to check all of them before pulling.

Comment

I have 4 Smoke thermometers but not the Gateway since I have the Fireboard. I read somewhere on here where someone was having problems with their Gateway app.

Comment

I will amend my thoughts after reading post 68 (I think) in this thread:

I got a Fireboard Extreme BBQ Edition for Christmas. My wife knew I wanted one. She also, I'm pretty sure, is tired of me complaining about not having enough

Comment

Not sure why folks have problems with their RF readers on their Smokes. I have never had issues unless I get WAY out of range, but everywhere in my house it seems to read fine. I think the other problem with the Gateway is the app seems to be a bit gimpy. The Fireboard seems to give a wider range of readouts with their app. Again, I'm happy with the Smoke, just wish I had additional temperature probe ports. I suggested to ThermoWorks that they take that big timer stack unit and convert that to a jumbo size smoke unit. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Comment

I don't have any issues with my Smoke remote, other than if I get all the way to the very front of the house, in which case there are probably 5 or 6 walls, including brick, between me and the grills. Plus the grills are across a swimming pool from the house.

Comment

I have both (including the gateway), and use both. But I can highly recommend the Fireboard. The whole "connect to ze Internet" feature is just so much simpler with Fireboard. Plus you get 6 probes. Can't beat that.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Argh, there you go from someone who know about pirates.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                lmao

Arrrrrrrr, was just wondering if any of me maties out yonder know why I can't seems to git any music out of this blamed contraption .......

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack pirate.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	426391

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                Editing a comment
                What in GOD'S name is wrong with his HAND?!?!?!?!?!?

Troutman, arrgh! A swig o' rum & some ComfortablyNumb and you’ll have a warm tumm & listening to sweet nothings.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                ....while sitting on me bumm ? You left me hanging.....

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                My brain went dead, so hang ye must oh man of trouts. Troutman.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here