Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke Gateway - Almost at my wits end with this POS - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Smoke Gateway - Almost at my wits end with this POS - help!

So, enticed by the siren song of having my grill watched wherever I am in the house, I bought the gateway... Smoke is a GREAT product, but I'm having a LOT of problems getting this thing to work.

I managed to make it connect to wifi and sync with the smoke. but then, if the unit is not next to the smoke, it disconnects and I have to delete the device from the app, do a hard reset and re-add and re-connect everything again for it to get working again.

This can be as intended... anyone here got this thing and had better luck than I?

I'm trying to find some help for you...

Comment

thanks! I have been looking in the internet but all I found are rave reviews on how this thing is awesome. Other than the official Thermoworks instructions and video couldn't find a thing

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        The Thermoworks people take customer support seriously. Drop them a line!

Yeah, T-works will be the best resource.

Comment

I tested the Gateway, and the review can be found as an addendum to the Smoke review. I struggled with it as well, but I suspect that the problems were due to some incompatibilities between my router and the Gateway itself. I'm a full-time RVer, and our router only connects to the Internet when we're in our home park. So I tried to connect it to my ATT my-fi modem/router. I couldn't get that to work. I went back and forth with tech support - who were very responsive - and I finally said I'd put off testing it until I could get my ActionTec router connected to a DSL line at home. I haven't had any problems since.

The sort of problems you're having really should be addressed to ThermoWorks. They should have enough experience with users in the field that they can pinpoint problems quickly. I'm not a huge fan of the way the setup works, and I've made that point to the manufacturer. Give them a call and ask for Amanda - she's the guru on this equipment. My guess is that she'll be able to get you up and on the air.

Bill McGrath

Comment

Thanks Bill!

Comment

Or call Fireboard............

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
              Or call Fireboard............
              huh. Had I know this was around wouldn't have bought the smoke.

Comment

Keep in mind that the original Smoke, without the Gateway, allowed you to use its own receiver. IMO, this is a better solution than having to play with my phone all the time. Ok, I'm an old fart, resistant to new technologies, but the simple receiver really tells me all I need to know. I rarely travel afar while I'm cooking, so the ability to check on my cook while off having a pint at the pub isn't a feature I would use much. To each his own...

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you on not leaving your cooker much but, It's nice to not have a receiver to worry about. When it's built into your phone, you don't need the extra handset.
                  Not to mention having WIFI built into Fireboard, instead of having to buy a bridge to make it wireless.

But like you said, To Each his own.....

• RobertC
                  RobertC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Part of the promise of the Gateway was extended range; another part was a temperature log. I don't travel far while cooking either, but the current Smoke remote won't work if I'm in my front yard and the transmitter is in my back yard. And, it would be handy to have a log.

Yep, I would call Thermoworks customer service, nice folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McGrath View Post
                  Keep in mind that the original Smoke, without the Gateway, allowed you to use its own receiver. IMO, this is a better solution than having to play with my phone all the time. Ok, I'm an old fart, resistant to new technologies, but the simple receiver really tells me all I need to know. I rarely travel afar while I'm cooking, so the ability to check on my cook while off having a pint at the pub isn't a feature I would use much. To each his own...
                  my problem with the smoke is mainly for overnight cooks. the receiver won't work on my bedroom (too many walls). otherwise it works fine if im on the tv room or such. I'll keep the smoke for my second grill and switch to the fireboard for my main cooks.

I've been using the anova sous vide and its great to be at work and check on the cook from there, and I bought the gateway under the impression that I was going to be able to do the same thing. apparently you can, the problem is the app (its AWFUL) and the fact that if the thing disconnects for some reason you have to be physically there to do all the setup again

Comment

Call me Darth, but I've been poking around on the Dark Side lately. After reading articles on it, I bought an Instant Pot, an all-in-one device that will do pressure cooking, sauteing, slow cooking, making rice, baking AND sous vide. I can set the water temp to anything I want and it will hold it there for as long as I program it to. I've checked the accuracy using my ThermoWorks TempTest1, and it stays within a degree or two of the settings. I've cooked up some Costco top sirloins and they were excellent when warmed to 130ºF in the Instant Pot and seared on the grill. I cooked up some of Meathead's Kansas City barbecue sauce, including the tamarind paste ingredient, then applied it to some pressure-cooked wings before putting them under the broiler to finish. Dynamite! So many gadgets; so little money!

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Friend of mine just bought an Instant Pot. I'm very interested in seeing your take on it after you use it for a while. I have an Anova and am very happy with it, but the pressure cooker, rice maker, slow cooker combo is what intrigues me.

As to the Smoke, I've not had any problems with readouts. What I am experiencing is probe failure. I had one probe go haywire in the middle of a cook. I called ThermoWorks and they rushed me a new probe, I mean I had it within like 48 hours. The new probe, which is like 6-8 weeks old now, read beautifully yesterday cooking a chicken, temp got right up to 158* in the breast (so I was about to pull the bird) THEN all of a sudden it dropped to 148* and started DOWNWARD. I'm like, what the heck? Pulled out my Thermopen and breast was right at 159* so chicken was perfect but new probe is shot. I'm SV some meat right now at 132* and took out all my probes and tested them. Only two that were way off were the Themo probes. Hate to have to call them again but this could get old real fast.

One word..... hope Santa brings me that Fireboard.......

Comment

• Thunder77
                      Thunder77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I guess I have better luck than you with Thermoworks probes. I just recently replaced my first TW probe after two years of use.

I bought an Anova for sous-viding steaks. I do them at 54°c (Medium rare) and then finish them up on the grill with the slow n sear. AWESOME.
                    Been thinking to do what the SV community call "Can't F*ck it up fried chicken" (Basically, do the chicken sous vide, then just dip and fry the coating.) But then I found about kettle fried chicken...

Comment

Gateway kicked my butt Rancherstriker until I put my tail between my legs and called TW. Has worked fine since. I hope you have the same experience as it is fun to monitor from your mobile device.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here