Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen MK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen MK4

I was looking into potentially purchasing a Thermapen MK4 and saw that either the website is down or something is up with them. Anybody know anything?

First of all, welcome to The Pit!

We are in the process of moving the free side of site to a new server. Everything should be good to go within 24 hours.

What kind of questions did you have regarding the MK4? I have both the MK4 and Classic Thermapen, and I love both of them.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
      Rjbachtold commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m a member. The $24 is worth the knowledge I’ve gained in just a few days. And I know the thermapen is great just was wondering why I couldn’t purchase them from their site. I was referring to their site not yours.

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

I have the Thermopop, mainly because when I purchased I also got the Smoke. The Themopop is half the price of the MK4 and the reading is only a second or two difference. Since I didn't want to risk the ire of Mrs. Numb I went with the with the lower priced unit. I've been happy with it, and the Smoke, and have since purchased the Dot. I just checked, their site appears to be down, but be patient. Don't be tempted to get a knock off/imitation off eBay or Amazon, get the genuine direct from the manufacturer.

Comment

Welcome Rjbachtold The Thermopen MK4 is nice but Thermoworks is having a 48 hr sale on the original Thermopen for $59. Spinaker I think he was preferring to Thermoworks website it’s not coming up. In that case they should add another day to the sale.
        Last edited by DWCowles; November 17, 2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I just checked it........not looking good. It is totally down!

Is just the difference with the newer one being waterproof?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The newer one lights up and the numbers moves at different angles

Move with me?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The original Thermopen the numbers are stationary and the new one isn’t. The numbers rotates on the new one.
          Last edited by DWCowles; November 17, 2017, 09:17 PM.

Originally posted by Rjbachtold View Post
        Is just the difference with the newer one being waterproof?
        No the screen is a bit different, it is back lit and it rotates. It reads just as fast as the Classic. Honestly, the only reason I would want a MK4 over the Classic is for the backlit screen. I think the only Classics that are left, are ones that are not back lit. I might be wrong on that one though. Both give great, accurate readings. They are a must have. IMHO

The MK4 is Waterproof but I never had problems with the Classic and water. The classic is splash proof but that has been enough for the last 5 years. They are built very well.​​​​​​​

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          The mk4 also uses normal AAA (not button) batteries. A bit more convienient.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh, good call. I didn't even notice. Polarbear777

Their site appears to up now. Earlier in the day I ordered several of the originals on sale to give as Christmas presents and it worked then also.

Comment

Yes their website is up. Only the red and the green is on sale for $59 the other colors are $79.

Comment

I can’t seem to get their site to work. When I click to view their pens it says error. Anybody else experiencing this or could test this?
            Last edited by Rjbachtold; November 17, 2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

They will be making a special 20% discount offer on the MK4 to our members around 12/6. Details to follow.

Comment

There will be a deal on the MK4 starting 12/6 for 15% off of the normal price for (4) days Rjbachtold if you are interested. I will be posting it when we get closer.

Also- from time to time we are lucky enough to chat with manufacturers and extend offers to the pitmaster club which are not open to the general public and make them available here.

Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to drooling over all the fun things you cook and share with the group!

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So which is it 15% or 20%? Both are good deals regardless.

• allsid
                  allsid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  12/6 for 4 days is scheduled for 15% off, but we recently ran a 20% off deal for pit members. I will be posting the details and the deal as we get closer.

• Rjbachtold
                  Rjbachtold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m interested. I’ll be looking for the post

I’m leaning more towards a red or green one for $59. Don’t know if it’s worth the extra $40 for AAA batteries, a backlit screen, and a screen that rotates, I guess I’ll just have to keep my button battery stock up, my grill light on, and my head cocked to the side when need be. I thank you all for your input!

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You will be happy either way. 👍

I think that most everyone who has 2 Thermapens (1 classic and 1 Mk4) arrived there the same way I did. Bought the first one without the backlight in the springtime when I was usually done cooking before dark. Was OK all summer and then fall arrived. Suddenly I’m cooking in the dark all the time. Convinced my wife she needed one in the kitchen and then ordered the Mk4. My excuse is I bought the regular one long before the Mk4 existed and Thermoworks wasn’t really pushing the backlit version of the "classic".
                Best regards,
                Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here