Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead and digital thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead and digital thermometers

So last weekend I was smoking a butt on my Uncle Pookie barrel smoker. This smoker is equipped with an analog thermometer. I went outside to check on the temp and just for kicks I stuck my Thermotech digital meat probe down the "Flue" of the smoker. The temperature was at least 75 degrees hotter than the analogl reading at the top(I think that could be extreme) While the butt turned out nicely, sometimes the ribs seem a little over done. Needless to say, I was going to purchase a digital thermometer for the inside of the smoker. I broke down and bought the fire box. I'm going to try ribs again this weekend, Can I run the ambient temperature probe through the flue and attach it to the grate?? I don't want to just start drilling holes on my nicely heat painted Uncle Pookie smoker. Input is greatly appreciated.

I'd think, knowin' nothin bout yer particular thermo, that this should be fine...

If it's made to be in a pit environment, flue temps shouldn't do aught to it, except blacken the cable...

Comment

Thanks Mr. Bones

Comment

First let me add I read Meathead's book months ago and after posting this looked at his thermometer tips. He covered everything even the drilling of the holes. However, I did do a smoke yesterday using the fire board. There was at least a 25 to 35 degree difference throughout the smoke between the analog on the side and the ambient digital probe on the center grate. I want to say that in the beginning the difference was closer to 50. The one great thing about the firebird is seeing the temperature on your phone. Less trips out the door = less flies getting in the house.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a similar difference between the good quality analog one I had in the dome and the Thermoworks digital at the grate level. This was in a kamado.

The dial therms on my stickburner are a consistent 40-50 deg lower than digital probes on my grate, so if I cook at 250, they're saying right around 200. The nice thing is if you notice consistency you can use that to your advantage. If you don't feel like getting your fireboard out or it dies, or it's being used elsewhere, etc, you can just remember what your dials should say and make the necessary adjustments. Oh, and welcome to The Pit Charlie_Brown!

Comment

• sblair1255
          sblair1255 commented
          Editing a comment
          I now have a Stumps Baby XL smoker now and I'm not sure who makes their analog's but it consistently reads very close to my fireboard temps. And as big as the dial is it only takes a quick glance to read the temp. They have a little nut on the back you can use to adjust displayed temperature but I haven't had to play with it so far.

On my Hasty-Bake, the hood thermometer is about 60 degrees lower than my Fireboard ambient probe on the grate. On my WSM 22, the dome thermometer is about 40 degrees lower than my Fireboard on the grate. And this is consistent with what I experienced when I had a Maverick ET-732 before the Fireboard.

I didn't drill holes in my Hasty-Bake .... I just run the probes in through the hole that the rotisserie goes in, and then close the hole cover as much as I can.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	part_p_2127046_317131429.gif
Views:	65
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	375792New WSM thermo grommet works great but gotta drill a big hole to retrofit

Comment

How did you sneak in here. Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome to fun and learning! The Fireboard is an amazing thermometer. Post some pictures of your successes!

Comment

I do it all the time. I have a vertical stick burner with 5 shelves, and I always run my probe down the flue and have never had any problems.........

Comment

Welcome @Charlie_Brown

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Thermoworks Smoke? My probe went crazy and started reading -33F. I ordered a new one but I was wondering if others have had problems or issues with the Smoke version and the probes.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The pro-series probes that Smoke uses are some of the best in my opinion. I would contact ThermoWorks and explain your situation and wouldn't be surprised if they ship you a free replacement.

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Once I had some strange readings due to having a little moisture on the plug end. I dried it off, reinserted/removed and dried again and all was well after that.

• Mark N
                      Mark N commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. I ordered two more just to have on hand but will take your advice and contact them.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here