Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen or Mini Handheld Thermocouple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen or Mini Handheld Thermocouple?

Since Thermoworks has extended their Cyber-Monday deals another day, they reeled me in. The Thermapen is on-sale for $85. Or I could get the MTC with the super-fast meat needle and case for $73. They're bold Gold rated here. The review notes that MH likes this MTC kit because the needle is thinner than the Thermapen and just as fast.

So I'm wondering why most people have bought the Thermapen? Is it just for the folding convenience?

I've been very, very happy with my Thermapen. Don't underestimate the value of the folding when you're carrying a bunch and you want to use a pocket to carry it. Or (for whatever reason) you need to have the needle at an odd angle with respect to the handle. I sprang for the silicone sleeve to increase its grippy-ness and (if that fails) make it more gravity resistant. I love mine and I'd buy another if I had any possible reason to own another one.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I read this through the first time and I read; "make it more gravy resistant." I LOLed. Also a good quality!

For me TB the thermapen stays in my pocket so I want it to fold.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Jon. Also have you looked at a thermopop? They have a nice holder and is a lot cheaper! It doesn't read temps as quick, but I haven't needed to save 5 seconds to use my thermapen I have both and like them equally.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've got a CDN DTQ450X, which also got a Gold rating, for an inexpensive 5-6 second read. The time difference doesn't seem like much unless you're holding your hand over a hot flame or in my case have fingers that feel numb almost instantly in cold weather.

Just wondering whether I'd want the MTC for its versatility in adding other probes later, although I'd probably never give up on my Mavericks. I also like the idea of an even thinner probe that can be used sideways into burger or fish. But perhaps I'd never do those either...

Hmmmm

Comment

Its hard to beet the MTC's ability to add some probes. K probes at that.

Comment

Hi All,

I have a LavaTools insta-read that costs at least half as much as a Therma-pen. 4 second read... you can check it out on Amazon (oc!) Will be using it shortly after I pull if off of the frig - thanks to magnetics.

--Ed

Comment

thermo pen, hands down no close second. The only thing I wish I had got the backlit one because I cook a lot at night and have trouble seeing it so if you consider the thermo pin I highly recommend you get a backlit one

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                thermo pen, hands down no close second. The only thing I wish I had got the backlit one because I cook a lot at night and have trouble seeing it so if you consider the thermo pin I highly recommend you get a backlit one

+1

The folding and putting into pocket feature of the Thermapen is awesome.

Comment

I actually own both the Thermapen and the MTC with meat probe. Hands down I prefer the Thermapen. Carrying the MTC with that sharp needle always seems a hassle when my hands are full of plates of food. I got the Thermapen with backlight and the silicone boot which I also highly recommend. The boot glows in the dark and has strong magnets that help keep it from getting knocked off your pit. And if it should get knocked off the boot will protect it. You will not regret investing in the Thermapen.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here