Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You ever forget and leave your thermometer on???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You ever forget and leave your thermometer on???

Well, I do it all the time. The sending unit, anyways.

I've got a Maverick 732, the old tried and true. Several times I've left it on for days at a time, even a week or more. I've changed the batteries in the sending unit once since I've had it, in 3 years or so, and I use it pretty often, I think. Not like every day, but still...

So this time, I guess I really put it to the test. Didn't realize it was on until I went out today to do some cleaning on the pellet smoker, since we've got friends coming in this weekend and I thought I'd do some ribs for them - they still rave about my ribs from last time they were here 3 years ago, and I can't even tell you how much I've learned and how much better they've gotten since then.

I don't know when the last time I used the thermometer was... but I know I've been home from vacation for a week, and I was in the Caribbean for 3 weeks before that, and The Wife and The Boy went down 11 days before I did, and since I was working my tail off to take off that much time after they left, there's no way I used the smoker after then.

So... looks like at least 6 weeks or so? Who knows, it's been too long. But anyways, apparently that old Maverick's been faithfully monitoring the temp of my Traeger underneath that cover in the Oklahoma summer heat for at least a month and a half.

Just thought I'd share. Pretty decent battery life on this unit, I'd say!

I am going to upgrade soon, I am looking hard at the maverick and the smoke. I am currently using a taylor to monitor the smoker temps, and an origon scientific talking thermometer to monitor the meat. I have no complaints other than the taylor wire melts at about 400 degrees. the Oregon scientific is great, but I left it on top of my grill once and it meleted a prt of the sending unit. now the battery cover doesn't stay on. I had a custome duct tape cover made for itby my 11 year old son lol. maybe time to old yeller it and upgrade. battery life is important to me, we grill, or smoke 5-6 days a week at my house, so it gets HEAVY use.

Comment

This reminds me! I left my FireBoard on in the back yard. Thanks man!

Comment

I left my brown unit on for over a week recently. Killed the batteries for good.

Comment

I'm right with the OP here. Always forget to turn the sending unit on the 732 off. Finally changed the batteries for the first time when I did the big PB cook about 6 weeks ago. Not that they needed it, but just because...

Comment

The Maverick battery life is awesome. But I've never run my Fireboard out either. I've got a backup battery just in case, though.

Comment

Best thing is to turn off the outside unit first, then the inside unit lets you know it lost its mate. Of course I only remember to do that 10% of the time.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I find it's all about establishing habits with that stuff you don't want to be thinking about as you pull something delicious off the cooker!

I always forget to turn the Tappecue off until I start disconnecting the probes to clean them. Usually after the meal.

Comment

I'm always leaving a thermometer on. Fortunately, not more that overnight as far as I can remember. The lcd displays just don't use much power.

Comment

All the time! In fact mine has been on for a couple weeks now. It's still on from my rib cook yesterday and it was on from my last cook when I started my stickburner fire yesterday morning. I am a big Maverick fan! I've gone over a month like you as well. I beat them pretty ragged and considering that I have no complaints about them.

Comment

Just last week. Took the receive unit out with me so the beeping when I opened the grill wouldn't drive #1 nuts. Meat was ready so I pulled it. Left both units outside overnight, and the receiving squawking away. smh

Comment

Haven't done this so far, but now it's going to prey on my mind.

Comment

Haven't, so far..
                        I have both a Maverick ET-732, an' a Smoke...
                        Never once used 'em, so far...
                        Since I got one WSM that somebody done drilled probe holes in, it's gonna happen, soon...
                        Meanwhile, I jus' smoke...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here