Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the Meater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta say, based on this, that I'm very glad I never bought into Meater.

Comment

I took my wife's iPhone outside and left it on a table on the other side of the meat from the transponder part of the Meater. At about 15 feet, it was at max range. No walls or doors and it intermittently cut out, always if someone walked between the iPhone and grill.

Comment

I received another Kickstarter update yesterday in regards to the progress of the Meater block. Not very encouraging, and given that their facebook post was announcing a contest for best use picture for those single probe backers really ticked me off! So I fired off an email to Apption Labs customer support, and it is as follows.

ME:

Hello,

I backed this project on Kickstarter for the block and four probes. Even though there is a delay with the block, I do not understand why the probes could not be sent separately. Please see if this is an option for your frustrated backers that are being left out.

Thank you.

APPTION LABS CUSTOMER SERVICE:

Thanks for reaching out!

Unfortunately, we cannot begin shipping probes to Block backers until the product's design is complete. Single unit MEATER probes are configured slightly differently than Block probes, so none of the probes we currently have stocked will work with MEATER Block. In addition to this, the Block acts as the probes' charger, so customers would be unable to recharge their MEATER probes until we ship the MEATER Block.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Louis

ME:

Hello,

I wish the fact that the block probes do not charge like the single probes as this might have been a factor in not purchasing the block. Very disappointed.

APPTION LABS CUSTOMER SERVICE:

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed!

While Block probes charge the same way as single unit probes, you'll still need the physical Block to charge your units. Without the Block, you'd be unable to recharge any units we sent you until you also receive the Block. Because of this, we are forced to hold off on sending out any probes to Block backers until we can ship the Block as well.

We recently ran a promotion exclusive to KS Block backers, giving them the option to order single unit MEATERs for a discounted rate. Any Block backer who chose to order a discounted single unit MEATER also saw their order shipped the same day it was placed.

If you missed out on this promotion and would like to take advantage of it still, let me know, and I'll make sure you have access to a promotional code.

Best,

Louis

Still ticked, and be darned if I'm paying for discounted single unit! Guess I'm stuck waiting even longer.
        Last edited by DJ DeSpain; September 13, 2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I can't lie. If I made millions off my backers I wouldn't ship it just like they didn't.

hey I've been KS burned before. I feel the pain.

good news is KS can only burn you once
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 13, 2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            How are you liking your fireboard? Histrix

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct, at the beginning they were sincere with feed back then they just gave us the big middle finger! I will only be KS burned once for sure!

• Atalanta
            Atalanta commented
            Editing a comment
            I have, and still do, back quite a few Kickstarters. HOWEVER, I now limit tech backings to $1 after being seriously burned (but I was able to get my money back). I only backed the Meater for $1 just to post and get updates. Even the Misen Knife was late, but IMO that was worth the wait. All the others I've backed with rewards have fulfilled.

My Meater is allegedly on its way. Disappointed what I'm hearing about range. I'll be running mine in my Pit Barrel Cooker.

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Hard to push an ultra low power radio wave very far thru a metal enclosure. That's why their WiFi block will be pretty much a necessity.

I've had mine a couple of weeks and have used it 5-6 times. I like the convenience of just pushing it in the meat and connecting via Bluetooth. The range is limited, especially when in my PBC — however, you can have a phone close to the cook, Then use a separate phone or tablet to monitor what the close phone is reading. The "time remaining" hasn't been very accurate — but is a guideline at least.

I'm happy with it — mostly because I hated dealing with the wires on my Maverick set up. My ThermoPop has confirmed end temperature for the most part — I did have an off reading on one cook most likely do to thermometer placement.

Comment

• cstefan
            cstefan commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly I'll believe the technology is real when I see someone like Thermoworks embrace it. Even then most electronics are going to have a limited range they'll be able to function under. No putting a probe right in the coals like you can with a ceramic K-type thermocouple.

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            cstefan I'm curious, how often do you feel a need to put a probe right in the coals when bbq'ing?

• cstefan
            cstefan commented
            Editing a comment
            Histrix I don't feel the need to put a probe in my coals. The point is you can get thermocouple sensors that will stand up to that.

For the foreseeable future electronics will be on the delicate side. I know I've melted silicone cables on probes before when I wasn't careful about placement. I'd hate to fry a meater doing the same thing.

Yea, got my Meater today. I don't know weather to play with the Meater, Soul Preacher, Fireboard or the moisture meter first. Seemed to hook up ok to the phone. I'll play with it when I get some time...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6868.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	385996

Comment

• ClarkK
            ClarkK commented
            Editing a comment
            Hook 'em all up at once!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You had me at Soul Preacher! I'm really wanting their Tone Corset, and a butterscotch blonde Squire tele to use it with......ahhh if not MCS then MGS....

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            MGS is more broadly known as GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). ;-)

I learned that on the saxophone and woodworkers forums. Allows you to communicate with alien cultures!

I am very interested to know if this thing works.

Comment

• ClarkK
            ClarkK commented
            Editing a comment
            I've used mine a number of times and it works with the proximity quirks mentioned previously. The "remaining cook time" feature on the app hasn't been reliable at all. It seems to work as well as my Maverick Et-732—but with no wires. What is a "wait and see" is how long it continues to work and keep a charge

On a long cook today -- my phone ran out of juice. Not really a MEATER issue as it's the phone that lost power -- but it's an inconvenience, and MEATER requires use of a phone. Figured I had a half hour to charge it without worrying about my meat. I didn't. Had a fire drill to get the meat out of the PBC when I saw it was slightly over temperature. Either I need better planning next time -- or to go back to Maverick for long cooks.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            ClarkK , what range are you getting with yours?

• ClarkK
            ClarkK commented
            Editing a comment
            richinlbrg , very limited range in the PBC, although much better with the Weber Genesis that's not such a closed system. I'm setting my phone right next to the PBC (protected from sun and elements) then using my iPad via wifi to monitor -- which makes the range a non-issue, but put's my phone out of commission during the cook.

Got a Meater also and have used on a couple of cooks (whole yard bird and reverse sear ribeyes). Overall I like the product, but as noted the range so far is horrible. I'm hoping they get it fixed as if I go from grill to inside the patio (approx 3-4 feet) I lose connection often. Like everyone else, they blame it on BlueTooth, but my argument is if this is your design choice then you got to make it work. Construction materials seem to be good quality and the packaging is very well done and professional.

I like the app they have developed. It has all the bells and whistles that the other offerings do and it was easy to pair with my Meater unit. I also ordered the block, so will be curious to see how this helps with range (once they have it done and shipped). I've compared the temps of internal with my thermapen and they are pretty consistent. I believe with the block you can also do WIFI instead of bluetooth, so that might help out a ton.

It's estimated cook times are a bit wonky, but since it's graphically tracking the temp profile over time it's pretty easy to do your own guesstimate. It also appears they are collecting information about people's cooks, so I assume they'll be doing some machine learning in order to get better data on what cook times should be.

All in all a good product for a first release. If they can get the range nailed, I'd consider it excellent. It's nice not to have to fight with wires.

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            An ultra low power transmitter in the 2.4ghz band just isn't going to push a signal thru a metal grill very far. Might go a little farther thru a ceramic kamado. Physics.

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for giving me hope! Someday my block may come… it’ll have to be really good to replace my Fireboard, though!

I’m glad I kept my money in my pocket.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here