Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the Meater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using the Meater?

I like the idea of the temp probe spikes without cords as well as some of the other features. However, online searches have produced very little personal experience with the product. So have any of you fine folks tried it out? Thoughts?

From an electrical engineering perspective, I think the Meater is quite an engineering marvel.

I am a bit leery to put active electronics inside of a grill. Not because of any hazard to the cooking, but typical electronics components only go to 85°C (185°F) or 105°C (221°F). The Meater is simply a meat thermometer, not an ambient probe. The max spec is 212° F, which makes sense based on electronics limits (and who ever wants their meat to go that high anyway). They claim that since the electronics are in the probe, which should be deep in the meat, it is insulated from the grill's ambient temp.

Also, having the Bluetooth radio electronics buried in the meat will restrict it's range. You can see this in their range spec of 33ft.

However, I am waiting to read some more detailed reviews before passing final judgement.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      It has an ambient probe in the end.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info! Thanks

There are some units in the field now, and I think at least one Pit member has one. They are in the process of verifying addys for backers in order to start shipping. The Meater with the Block is still in development, so it will be a while before they are ready to ship.

My understanding is that the pointy end contains the meat sensor, and the blunt end contains an ambient sensor, so one probe will measure both meat and air temps. The Bluetooth range is not that great, but the Block will resend the Bluetooth signal as a wi-fi signal. If you have a single probe and an extra phone, (or other suitable device), you will be able do the same thing with a single probe.

Comment

We were just notified that ours should ship this week. Just a single probe. As part of the notification, we were offered upgrade - the block that isn't ready yet. Figured we'd limit our exposure out of the gate.

and yes, a meat thermometer on one end and an ambient thermometer on the other.

Will let the pit know when it arrives and if it works.

i think we are number 741, FWIW.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you find out what number you are?

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB , I think it was in their notification to my wife, who got it for me as a present.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx..

richinlbrg Smart move, it pisses me of they are still pushing pre sales like they are ready to ship instead of fulfilling the early backers on the block.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        We are in agreement! The notification was a pleasant surprise. I've been warning folks on the Meater Facebook page for a long time!

What are you in for, Powersmoke_80 ?

I just checked the status on my order for the block and it sez it is expected to ship in September - of 2016.

Comment

I'm waiting for the "Meater 2024 Texas Solar Eclipse Edition."

Comment

The The 4 Meater Block.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I was so close to going that route!

Kinda given up on the Meater if it ever shows up. I have just way too many toys as it is and the FireBoard has beat them to the block, so to speak! I'll probably relegate mine to my Harley, and somehow be able to check my oil temp on my apple watch.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL

But, maybe it'll be a winner. Time will tell.

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Just might be brother!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully I'll be able to start to give some feedback shortly.

This appeared on my FB news feed this evening:

They need to learn about the SnS, and understand that smoke adheres early in a cook, but at
          east they've heard of the reverse sear. All of the comments (6) are VERY negative all regarding lack of delivery.

Just an FYI

Comment

FINALLY, my Meater has arrived!!

wooo whoooo, I now have a Meater (#741).

It is charging now and I am upgrading my iPad software so I can download the Meater software. I'll do some testing later today (hopefully) and have 2 small pork shoulders I am brining and will cook later this weekend. I'll use the meater for the cook together with my Redi-check 732 for comparison.

Will report back when I have something to say, but there is hope!!

HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND!

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              We had those doubts, too. #1 had given it to me as a gift, we are thinking a year and a half ago or two years ago. She has not been so amused, Spinaker !

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              You are the ONLY person I know who has one.

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Meathead , the way this is going, I have about had it. I'll wait 1 more day to see if they have anything else to say, then might see if Max would like to get his hands on it. And I haven't yet run across anybody on their forum, either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	118.3 KB ID:	373534 Some initial thoughts.

I cannot sync to my iPad but does sync to an iPhone. Open question to aption pending response.

the Meater is not easily removed from its charging "block" - they should have put a cloth strip underneath the Meater to facilitate removal. NBD

When ambient temp = probe temp the ambient temp does not display = interesting

Temp changes are slow in the probe = not surprising nor much different than my Redi-check

Temp readings are generally close to my thermopen, both probe and ambient. Used ice water test and oven test @170*F (+\- 2-3*F)

Distance - currently reading about 30' from the closed oven, direct line, no doors or walls.

This will not be used for burgers. See pic above. The probe must be inserted approx 2 5/8" into the protein, so to be in the middle, you're going to need a slab over 5".

I will need to relocate my grill, but it does transmit from the closed grill. I am transmitting about 18-19' from the closed grill, through a closed door and am RIGHT on the edge. When signal is lost, re-acquisition is automatic.

Also just did a hot water test. Compared my Redi-check, new Meater and thermopop and all were within a couple degrees.
            Last edited by richinlbrg; September 3, 2017, 10:44 AM. Reason: Edited to add the hot water test result

Comment

• kill2grill
              kill2grill commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for posting about this...please keep on sharing

• kmhfive
              kmhfive commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to see real world reports!

Bad news.

I put two pork shoulders on. I put the Meater in one and also one of the Redi-check 732 probes. The internal meat temps are in agreement.

The ambient temps, however, are way off. 210 per my 732 and 230 per the Meater. My 732 probe is slightly lower than the Meater, but not much (less than 2").

BUT the REAL issue is that with the lid closed and binder clips affixed it is only transmitting about 6-6 1/2 feet. Enough to make it to the door, but not through. Temp graph is cool, est time is neat, but at this point, I have to judge this as a failure.

Comment

First response from Aption Labs is that the Meater will not work with an iPad2 or lower, but it supposedly can be used to bridge to wifi. Of course, I have an iPad2, so I've asked for more help and informed them of my short range issue I described above.

Comment

I found it interesting that I got an email offering a discount on more Meater products yet my 4-probe block hasn't come yet, which I already paid for a couple years ago. It's like waiting 2 hrs for your food at a restaurant and them offering you the dessert menu in the meantime.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear ya, Huskee !

We don't recall getting special offers.

At least they are responding today to FB PMs today and trying (unsuccessfully so far) to help..

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here