Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fireboard help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fireboard help

trying my new fireboard out and I have 2 ambient probes right next to each other and getting almost 20 degree different reading from them, there on the indirect side of my kettle.... any ideas why ???

How close together are they? I can think of three possibilities .... 1. If they are touching, or nearly touching, they are affecting each other. 2. Far enough apart that you are seeing hot/cool spots on your grill. 3. One of the probes is bad.

Comment

Pics may help. You would be surprised what the air flow inside the pit is doing, but the first thing I did with all 6 probes plugged in was to place the tips into boiling water. I don't have that graph anymore but I was in shock at how accurate they all were.

I had a similar issue placing two pit probs really close.

One thing you can do is to swap the probes in the pit. Slide them out of the grate clips and swap them and see if the temps follow the probes. If they do, I would test the probes together in the boiling water. If you have issues, man, I haven't had to use them yet but I hear the FireBoard staff is excellent when you need them.

Comment

yea, I started out with probe 1 on the left side and probe 2 on right side and they were about 70 degrees in difference, then I played around with them for about an hour and probe 1 seems to run low, I even put another cheaper thermometer probe next to them and it was real close with probe 2.... I didn't think about them being to close though, maybe ill put in boiling water ... does it have to be boiling?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          marshall, It would be best if the Water was Boiling so You get a Standardized Repeatable Temp at Your Elevation! If one of the Probes was Closer to Cold Meat than the other You can also get a discrepancy between the Two Probes!
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Yea, boiling is 212 Deg +/- a degree due to your altitude. You can also do a big glass of ice water stirred real good. Of course this will be 32. The boiling trick is much closer to our smoking temps anyway. Just don't submerge them past the swedge. Not sure they are waterproof. Doing this with both probes will tell you how accurate both probes are.

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          The Fireboard probes are waterproof. One of the selling points for me.

pretty sure I got a faulty unit, I just hooked up all 4 of my probes to the fire board and put in boiling water and none of them registered, then the unit would not cycle 1 through 4 , then it said no activity!!! I then unhooked 2 of the probes and the other 2 started reading the water temp, looks like I see how there support is..

Comment

Dang that sucks, Yeah I would contact Fireboard. Sorry to hear about your troubles. If you need help, let me know and we can try to reach out to them on your behalf.

Comment

FireBoard is awesome about tech support. When I had a unit break after falling 3 feet onto grass, they replaced it in like 2 days.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I like to hear this.

thanks for the support people, much appreciated, I'm now using my 45$ thermpro to cook my chicken as we speak lol

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              :-( .... email fireboard support. They'll get you a new unit asap, I'm sure.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              woa woa :/

Hate to hear this. I had my FireBoard wig out only one time. It did the same thing you have experienced except it seemed to be my app that was causing the issue. I turned everything off, and rebooted everything. Haven't had a problem since that day.

Comment

I emailed fireboard, they have responded in less then 20 min. assuring they would fix the problem or get me a new one, that's very impressive on there part

Comment

• kmhfive
                kmhfive commented
                Editing a comment
                Yay!!!! Great news.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to hear Marshall

Great to know. I have only heard great things about this company!

Comment

update: Ted from the company had me leave my fireboard on via wifi and he uploaded some new firmware to it, he also said on the fireboard unit under devices in the advance settings, there is a smart temp. filter that by default was turned on, (causing inactivity results) he had me turn it off which needs to be done through blue tooth connection not wifi. after doing so I did the boiling water test and all probes worked great , the unit worked great, no more than 1 degree difference between 4 probes! The people at fireboard seem fantastic and I plan on being a customer for a long time, its pretty awesome when you call a company after 5pm and someone picks the phone up and talks to you like an actual person and truly cares about their product and is happy to share information with you.

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great! Glad to hear it's working.

Great man! There are a TON of settings. I am scared to death to touch most of them. I knew they would come through. I don't know if one of them folks are members here but they should be just to see all the happy customers.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are at least two people from FireBoard who are Members of the "Pit Club"! Ted Conrad and Steven! I have spoken to Both! Instant if not faster Responce! 👍👍👍👍👍
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Great customer service!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here