Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fireboard or smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fireboard or smoke?

I'm having a had time deciding if I should buy the fireboard or smoke thermometer! Is fireboard worth the extra $, also since there a new company what if they go out of business... probably over thinking it as usual!!!! lol

Have them both, love them both. My Smoke does loose contact with itself if I get more than two rooms away from the back yard, but I still love it. Hands down for me is the Fireboard though. They ain't going away anytime soon with a product like this I think. 6 probs, graphs, I have checked my cooks from across town and it has never missed a beat. When the new cable comes out for the fan it will REALLY be a hit.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Word up Lonnie!

It depends on what you want. They both do a great job of monitoring your temps. I was in your same situation a few months ago. I went with the Fireboard. Here is why...

As I said before, both of these units too a fine job of monitoring your temps. I went with the Fireboard because of a few reasons. I really like the fact that you can add up too 6 probes to the Fireboard. This makes it easy to monitor temps on two different cookers as once. The smoke is limited to just two probes.
    WI-FI was also a big deal for me. I got tired of my Mavricks being out of range and losing connection. And at the time the Smoke did not offer the WIFI. (The smoke is now offering WIFI)
    The biggest selling point for me was the cloud connectivity. I love the fact that I can monitor my cooks from anywhere. I can run errands and check my cook from where ever I am. If I am on the lake, at the store or just doing yard work, I don't have to worry about staying in range. I can stay in contact from anywhere I have access to the internet.
    You can also chart all of your cooks online. And I love that. Each probe is charted, you can add notes on conditions, meat, fuel, wood etc. Each cook is then logged and you can go back and check what you did last cook or 50 cooks ago. All of this is totally customizable.
    The Fireboard is also expandable. There is an extra port for a fan controller expansion, which is supposed to be coming in the near future.

Both of these are solid units. There is a reason the Fireboard is more expensive. You get more. I love Thermoworks. I own 3 Thermapens, an IR gun and I have bought an MK4 for all of my friends and family for just about every birthday that has come up in the last three years, if they didn't already have one. But in this case, I went with the Fireboard for the reasons I stated above.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I have three Thermaworks products, and have bought Thermapens for 2 family members. Great products. So today, I'm trying out the SmoBot on the egg, and it has the same kind of cloud connectivity as the FireBoard. It's awesome! Now just waiting for the Android app that will set off hi/lo alarms.

I'm loving my fireboard. 6 probes and wifi. They are adding blower control soon.

Comment

Just ordered the fireboard basic kit with an extra ambient probe, thanks for the input !

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Like others have said, they're both great. I went with Fireboard for the capacity, and, because of the type of probes they already offer. You'll love yours!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You made a great choice. Let is know what you think once you try it out!

Smoke comes from a great company, but I picked the fireboard for the extra probes. Love it so far.

Comment

I too picked the Fireboard because of the lost signal up in my room meaning I couldn't do overnight Cooks, But the 6 inputs was icing on the cake. To keep the motif going the unexpected fruit topping was the 6 foot length of the probes meaning I can cook in 2 cookers up to 12 feet apart so ribs on the PBC and Brisket on the offset!! (yeah I don't probe the ribs but I do monitor the PBC temp)

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the length on those probes. I have since given all of my Mavericks away to friends.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That length is a really nice touch!

I have a question about the Smoke.I currently use the ThermaPro .Its works for my needs.My pellet grill is outside and the range is about 2 rooms give or take.Its fairly simple and accurate when i check it with my pop probe.Its onsale for $88 shipped.Ive been eyeing it for awhile.With anyone that has the smoke can you report the distance from the grill?My cooks are usually simple on this pellet grill.Temp never goes above or below 10 so i usually just need one probe for the meat and not the grill.Thou i would like the fireboard it might be overkill for the money me being a simple bbq guy.Thanks

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't own one of those. But I still have a Maverick 733 and the range on that is really good. I could monitor an overnight cook in my bedroom. The alarm settings were loud enough to wake me if there was an issue.

I have a smoke, and it's pretty good. I hate the fact that the receiver drops signals if separated by a couple of walls. They do get 300 Ft line of sight, but considerably less if there are obstructions. I've been waiting for the gateway that allows wifi and the internet. Thermoworks keeps saying this summer, but it's almost mid August and still no announcement. The Thermoworks smoke is very, very simple to operate and set as opposed to the Mavericks which are not at all intuitive and for me, it took getting out the instructions every time I used it.
        AFA price,comparing apples to apples, the Smoke is 89 or 99 dollars depending on where you buy. The gateway is going to be and additional 89 dollars.so to get a unit that operates almost like the Fireboard, the price will be 180-190 dollars.
        Smoke only accepts two probes, the FireBoard accepts six. Also the Fireboard stores your data, smoke does not.
        In my opinion if you are looking to buy a remote temperature monitor, the FireBoard is the way to go. I will more than likely replace my smoke with the FireBoard rather than spending the additional 89 dollars for the gateway.

Comment

I Recieved My FireBoard Just Before ThanksGiving 2016! One of the First Cooks was a Stuffed Turkey on the Oklahoma Joe Highland Offsett Stick Burner! I had Some Trouble With the Set Up Turned Out to be a Glitch in the iPad App❓ Believe it or Not, Steve, Customer Service at FireBoard Advised Me to Switch to My iPhone 5-S to Monitor the Turkey! He Monitored the Turkey, via iCloud, Until I was Out of Trouble! ThanksGiving Day❓
          Unheard of Customer Service! 👍👍👍👍👍 Absolutely No Buyers Remorse Here! I used all 6 Probes for the Turkey, Rt & Lft Breasts, Rt & Lft Thighs, and 2 Pit Probes! Today I would Use one of the Pit Probes to Document the Ambient(Outside) Temp during the Smoke!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	361419Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	361422

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_44497.jpg
Views:	1567
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	361413Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	249.6 KB ID:	361416Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	249.6 KB ID:	361423Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	518.5 KB ID:	361417Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	914.0 KB ID:	361418Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	361421
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 12, 2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Slick!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            No EdF Slick was FireBoard coming Out with a New App for the iPad about 1-2 Weeks Later and I figured out how Set it Up for the Next Cook! I'm Not the Sharpest Knife in the Drawer❓ 🤗😇🤗 👍🐷🐖🐷👍
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            More than sharp enough, Danjohnston949!

FireBoard for me and I love it!

Comment

Thats alot of info.WOW.Looks like im saving my nickels and dimes.lol.

Comment

fireboard is awesome I'm using it for the first time right now, you can log in on any computer and see the grill temps.(assuming your linked with wifi) and the graphs are very helpful with long cooks, you can set alarms if your pit goes to hot or cold and it will text you or email you,

Comment

I may just have to get the fireboard once they come out with the fan control for it. MCS again!

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why wait? The fan control is just going to be a cable you can buy any time. It's not as if there are going to be new versions of the FireBoard thermometer itself.

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just What Histrix Said! Never Let a Little Incovenienc Like "Not Yet Available" Stand in the Way of MCS! IMHOP!
                  🤗😇🤗
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• vandy
                  vandy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OH hey the only thing standing in my way right now is LOF! That is lack of funds if it is not on the board yet.

I just got my Fireboard Pro kit (despite having an entire drawer full of remote thermometers) and so far love it (just one cook -- like I said, I just got it). Here's why:
                * None of my other systems do cloud. iGrill really should have, as they connect to it for stupid social media stuff, but they haven't. I love the Cloud part, as I can monitor my cook while going about my day. No, not because I'm compulsive, but it is possible to run out of fuel (sigh, mea culpa), or have a cooker error condition, or simply have a cook start going really fast, and not being able to monitor it all the time sucks.
                * I love the number of probes. Maybe I don't need 6, but I do need 4 (for brisket, I use one for left ambient, 1 for right ambient, 1 for point, and 1 for flat). Sure, if I was Aaron Franklin and had cooked three hundred million of them I wouldn't, but I haven't, so I do.

Now that I have it, I really appreciate that it just plain works out of the box, is easy to connect with on my computer, phone or tablet (or all three), and has nice features. I do think the App can be improved with more support for cook templates that include sets of alarms, etc., but I suspect they'll get around to that.

Now, why did I wait? Simply because wires suck, and probes get tangled, so I really hoped that Meater would be the perfect solution. From reading early (well, early compared to other reviews, a couple years late compared to the Kickstarter) reviews, it has enough issues that I'm not willing to mess with it.

FWIW, I don't have the Smoke, but I do have several Mavericks and 2 iGrill models. From what I understand, though, the Smoke only takes a couple probes and doesn't do cloud monitoring.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here