Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermopop, my new thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermopop, my new thermometer

I usually rely on my leave-in thermometer probes, and when I had to use an instant-read I would use my el-cheapo which took about 10 seconds to pick a temp. I decided to go for the Thermoworks ThermoPop, the bright yellow one.
    Gets readings in 5-6 seconds, the large LCD display numbers can rotate w/ a button press depending on the angle you're holding it at, it has a backlight, range of -58F to +572F and it looks like big tasty lollipop. Granted, it doesn't have the mega jackknife handle of the Thermapen or the even-quicker readout, but at 1/4 the price of the Thermapen I'll be happy with this guy for a while. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4954.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	3528
    Last edited by Huskee; July 21, 2014, 03:58 AM.

As long as it's accurate, that's what counts. I broke down and bought a Thermapen on sale at a killer price thanks to Pit Boss, but I could easily live with the longer readout time.

Comment

I just stepped up to the pump so to speak and got a Thermopen. Yes it was not inexpensive but, I am not hard on my equipment and it is accurate. I may pick up a Lollipop just to have an extra around as my other thermometers are old analog lollipops and have a fairly wide band of accuracy.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        "Fairly wide band of accuracy" Lol. I like that. Have you seen the ThermoPop page? http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...NGFORENGINEERS It comes in such a delightful array of colors it was really really hard to pick one. I almost wanted to buy 4 of them just to have the color choice.

Aaron, if you had bought five at the same time you would have gotten a discount. I have to same problem on occasion but currently I need to get a couple of great digital timers. Maybe as many as four for those times i am seriously multitasking in the kitchen and out on the deck.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm aware of the Thermoworks Timestick (I promise I'm not a thermoworks salesman or rep). It's a narrow slip-in-your-pocket splash resistant timer. Looks like a small TV remote. Similar array of colors

Aaron, I don't think you are reping for Thermoworks. Currently they are the best out there and most of us recognize that. I have been looking at the Timestick and i like the price. I am also looking at the "Big and Loud Timer". it is only $5 more each and I like the loud, 110 db, alarm and it also keeps counting the time past when it went off.

Comment

I like the title of that one. "Extra Big & Loud Timer". Their regular gadget naming guy was on vacation that week I guess.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	b.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	3548
        Attached Files

Comment

On the fence with what to get for an instant read. I currently use a ThermoWorks dual lead TW8060 for when I'm smoking for a long time but wanted a quick way to check things when I don't have it hooked up... Everything points back to the ThermoPens being the way to go (with the ThermoPop being a very close 2nd). Is there really nothing close out there for competition? New to the site just this morning so looking forward to getting better at my craft - have a ton of questions but want to post them in the right place!

Comment

Nice acquisition, Aaron!

RP, I was in basically the same boat as you, using a dual-lead Maverick for my long cooks but wanting something for other quick checks. While I think a ThermoPen sure would be nice to have, I just couldn't see enough need to justify the cost for my backyard cooking. There are plenty of options on the Thermometer Buying Guide page here and some even come with the AR food temp magnet! I don't think you'd go wrong with a ThermoPop, if that's on your short list.

Comment

Welcome RP. I went to introductions and couldn't find yours and also looked for you sig?? Anyway again, Welcome!! You are going to really like it here and bring on the questions.

Comment

I have a thermopop instant that I like alot. Orange was my color choice. I'm considering adding an iGrill2 with an ambient probe if they can get the "sh*t" together on fulfillment. Works like Maverick but with up to 4 probes and *software*!

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
                  Welcome RP. I went to introductions and couldn't find yours and also looked for you sig?? Anyway again, Welcome!! You are going to really like it here and bring on the questions.
                  Marauderer thank you for helping new members find the intro channel and the encouragement to get their signs filled out. Much appreciated!

Comment

David, where's your Sig?

Comment

I plan to get my wife one for the kitchen.

Comment

Jerod I buy all my BBQ equipment for my wife. Then when she doesn't want it I get it and she doesn't feel left out.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                          Jerod Broussard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have an RT-900 or whatever is in there now. Figure a colorful one will compensate her for the ICelsius she plans to get me.

Jerod you are a smart man that understands how to keep the wife happy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here