Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Measuring the temp of a Himalayan Salt Plank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring the temp of a Himalayan Salt Plank

I have a beautiful Himalayan salt plank that is 9x12x1.5.
    I have a Maverick ET-733 thermometer.

So here's the question; should I use the "meat" or "barbeque" mode if I lay the temperature probe on the salt plank?
    I need to get the plank up to 350 and to start grilling.
    I have been using the "meat" mode and have had tasty results.

But I am interested in opinions on this topic.

Maybe use an infrared thermometer instead?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be the usual approach, but even then you have to be careful because those thermometers are calibrated for certain kinds of surfaces, and need to be adjusted for others.

Welcome from Indiana.

I would not put the needle on the salt block. I would recommend an IR gun as well... Also would recommend reading the Thermodynamics of BBQ on main site if you haven't.
    Last edited by Nate; June 3, 2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah ... get yourself an IR thermometer. This is a good one ... and it's on sale: http://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I concur, wholeheartedly, with MBMorgan !
        I also have that exact IR thermo, an' it's uses are myriad!
        Helluva great sale price, might haveta get me another!

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang it I already have a IR (that cost more than that dang it) but this one has a available holster!! Then I could start going on Star Trek away missions!!!

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a cool tool! Have one and use it!

Strongly second the IR thermometer. I got one last Xmas, and while I can't say its the most indispensable thing, it's oddly interesting to find out exactly how hot the frying pan is; or the salt block. I would not lay a thermometer probe on any hot surface.

Comment

I do a LOT of hot lava rock cooking. I don't have an IR but it don't matter. My rock has to be a gazillion degrees. Think I'll get one to play with. But alas, your temp probe would never measure that accurately. IR is the only way to measure surface temps.

Comment

If you get an IR gun, make sure it goes to at least 700 deg. F. I agree on the probe issue. Just a good way to ruin a probe quickly.

Comment

As long as you're getting an IR thermo gun, might as well get one that goes up to 1000+°F. That way when you're doing screaming-hot reverse searing, you can check to see that the temp is up super high on the griddle, grill, Grill Grate, etc. before slapping the meat on. The first IR thermometer I bought went up to 700°F or so and was pretty useless for reverse searing sear temp checking. So I bought another one that went up to 1000+°F. I figure if my grill is a whole lot hotter than that it just may melt anyway.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 3, 2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              A physicist would know about measurement!

Welcome hot_pit_dan

Comment

This gun is on sale at Amazon for $19.99 made by thermoworks and prime also. Goes to 1000 degrees. Not commercial model though.

Comment

Thank guys! Super helpful info.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here