Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two Cities...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Tale of Two Cities...

Sorry SORRY I meant Smokers!
    I did a dual cook a couple nights ago using my FireBoard for the 1st time. (it was a overnight cook) The idea Was to start out on my Evil Off set (you will see why I think its evil when I post the graph) get some good Wood smoke into the 2 pieces of meat for 4 to 5 hours (Wood ran out much faster lol) Then switch over to my Akron Kamado for the remainder of the cook (so I could get some sleep. I had some problems (caused by me Doh!) but by 2 am was nestled in for a long winters nap. To the Pictures!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	off set graph.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	321334 This is the graph for the Evil Of Set the meat was on from 8:45 till 1:15 am (that dip in right before 1:45 was me switching the meat to the akorn the graph stops at 1:45 am because that's when I switched to WiFi for some reason it stopped and started back up? (I was not getting the alerts for to high and to low temps thats why it looks like the arizona national park. Ok your right it would still look prety much the same if I had been getting the alerts Now you see why I say Evil Off Set.

Name:	faux kamado graph.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	321335 Nice Akorn ran for 10 hours straight with out an incident (the Big dip at 1:55 am well the temp kept going down I thought the coals had gone out but really the FireBoard and my Fan control had 2 different temps in mind. after taking it all apart to check on the coal I adjusted the fan control until the temp equaled what the fireboard was saying. then @ 10 am the Pastrami was ready (big dip) and finally at 11:30 the Brisket was ready for the cooler!!

Name:	sliced pastrami.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	321336 is eatable but not what I had hoped (once again my fault for a number of reasons) but with deli mustard and Swiss Cheese it will still be enjoyed

Name:	Cut Brisket.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	321337 The Brisket came out Awesome! Juicy with a great bark!! Not as much of a smoke ring as hoped but still tastes spot on!! Not bad for 8 hours sleep!!

Very nice. I can't wait to get a larger smoker that holds all I need for a fundraiser AND I get that much sleep.

Comment

It was the best of temps, it was the worst of temps…

Thanks for the details! I love the Fireboard! Did you get the alerts once you switched to WiFi?

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I did! What was more impressive was the email I sent to the company at around 1 15 am not expecting a response till later that day. It was answered in 5 min! a few min later I was connected to Wifi!

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the continuation of the theme!! Very creative

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
      It was the best of temps, it was the worst of temps…
      Now that's clever

Comment

No one should ever graph the temps in a stickburning offset, cheap, expensive, newby or pro, for this very reason, LOL! The food doesn't reflect what the graph reflects, and it can really drive the human crazy seeing the graph. Although, those are quite extreme.

Comment

Still a very good lookin' cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            No one should ever graph the temps in a stickburning offset, cheap, expensive, newby or pro, for this very reason, LOL! The food doesn't reflect what the graph reflects, and it can really drive the human crazy seeing the graph. Although, those are quite extreme.
            For my Jambo Backyard, the Kindling Cracker has made even temps so much easier to achieve. It's a relatively small cooker (5 brisket max, on one level), and with an insulated firebox, putting too much fuel in there will def spike the temps. Now I can get exactly the size piece of wood I want, and I can pre-stage wood inside the box next to the wall so it's getting nice and hot and ready for the coals. If I'm around and have the Kindling Cracker and some seasoned wood, you can rock it steady and clean, blue smoke the whole way.

With the new large Myron Mixon, I can run a much larger fire, and we can keep temps in a 30-40 degree range by checking the fire every 20-40 minutes. If you want to dial that number in tighter, just pay a little more attention, tend the coal bed, and pick the right size log, and I can keep it within 10-20 degrees.

I do, however, long for a stickburner flavor with the ease of a fan controlled cabinet or gravity...alas, I'll have to invent one, I suppose.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              kbq.us

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              I can see why the KBQ is so popular! #SuperCool

Looks like success to me!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks LA Pork Butt! The Brisket was very good!! Keep forgetting to go pick up some rye bread for the pastrami Doh lol

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here