Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick ET-732

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick ET-732

How do I test my probes to make sure they're accurate the reason I ask is I'm getting a lot of question from my peers in my community
    66.67%
    33.33%

I put all my probes in the oven. Someone is going to be right.

Technically ice water is best since it is the same no matter the altitude, we use that at work daily. However, we are also temping around 34-60 degrees, not smoker temps.

Boiling water is not bad, it will change with altitude but I really think that is so minor I wouldn't worry much about it. Unless you are in the Andes.

I see no choices above, just dots.

Comment

My 2 favorite ways- test them at room temp or outside ambient air, compare with either your furnace thermostat's reading inside or a Thermapen in open air if you have one. And then boiling water, which can vary a couple degrees from 212F depending on you location above sea level.

Many will say an ice slurry (really cold ice water with lots of ice) to see if it reads at or close to 32F. Personally the room temp/outside ambient air thing works for me, less hassle, as long as I have another reputable device as a control.

Comment

Sir do you have a Sous vide of some sort? both mine read with in 1 degree of each other. So just set a water temp say 130 and see what the redi check reads!
        The way I checked before the Sous Vide was with my instant read. Get the hottest water out of the tap read it with the instant and check it against the redi check. (IF you don't have an instant read that really should be your next MCS purchase Great for checking all over meat temp but also for Probe tender!)
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; May 8, 2017, 12:49 AM. Reason: Continue my thought

Comment

I voted anyway. I agree with a two-Point check. Ice water should be 32F. Boiling water is about 212F. However, that varies with Atmospheric pressure. For example, for each thousand feet above sea level, the boiling point of water drops almost 2 degrees F. A stormy day will also drop the boiling point.

Comment

I really couldn't decide between the first "." and the second ".", so I didn't vote.

I've done the boiling water, (about 211.7* F at 300' above sea level), and the ice bath, but now I do it a cookin' temps - that's where it needs to be accurate. However, I do have a Thermopen, and they are factory calibrated, so I use that as my standard. I have checked the Thermopen with ice water and boiling water.

Comment

• Lowjiber
              Lowjiber commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't care for either "." or "."... so, I wrote in ",". I almost wrote in "!", but it's been far too brash during the campaign.

Yeah, the vote thing was an accident I'm going to blame it on the Bookers Bourbon

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I just wanted to know so that when I do get ready to test it I'll know what to do, so far I have had no problems with my thermometers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here