Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing my 1st cook with the new Fireboard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing my 1st cook with the new Fireboard!

Ok its a little anticlimactic I know I'm just sous videing a couple of Ribeyes but I had to use it on something lol! It and Joule are off by .5 degrees I can live with that lol Got a choice Brisket I'm gonna try to do this weekend (or early next week) in that dang off set (It taxes me It TAXES ME!) Only got the 3 probes (one pit and two meat) gonna probably order 1 more of each. That way one pit prob for each end of the off set!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sous vide tub with wires.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	315243Click image for larger version

Name:	cu of fireboard probes.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	315244Click image for larger version

Name:	fireboard unit.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	315245Click image for larger version

Name:	phone with graph on it.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	315246Click image for larger version

Name:	phone with joule on it.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	315247

Awesome! Congrats. I keep wondering if I should get one but darn it if I don't have too many thermometers as it is. I enjoy having one probe in each side of my offset, but it can cause stress seeing a difference sometimes. You may have to retrain yourself to stick to a 'range' instead *a* temp though when doing that.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually Huskee that is one of the things I'm interested in. how much swing is there from end to end. Does the water pan make a difference ect but your right if they are off by a bunch it will be worrisome

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      . I may get 3 pit probes Then I can find the sweet spot for what ever I'm cooking Ok I may be getting a little carried away!

Congrats on the new toy.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB! Its weird but I think this thing might renew my interest in long smokes!

Well as always with Sous Vide and Joule the Steaks came out wonderful!! I know its about the Fireboard but couldn't resist.
    What I did find interesting was the almost one inch thick steaks didn't hit an internal temp of 130 until 1 hour and 45 min in the bath?? I've read that 60 min is enough to cook the meat? very interesting to me lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	finnished Ribeye.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	315321 Oh I did just take them out of the Fridge, seal and plop into the water so that may have something to do with it lol

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems way too long to me. 1 hour max for 1" steaks.

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that looks good. food pictures make me hungry

Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats on the new Fireboard! They are great. So, how did you like it? We know the Sous Vide went well, that steak looks great!

Comment

Spinaker my old Mavrick died about 6 weeks ago. SO I go on Amazon and find a newer version and it came with some heat resistant gloves. Well the gloves are really to small and the new thermometer (it had presets) was very hard to program it didn't have dedicated probes for pit and meat. Trying to get to the part to change the set point or whatever was not very understandable, it lost contact constantly I just didn't like it. If I'm shooting a video after I get everything going (Pit up to temp meat in or hung ect) I take what I have already shot and go upstairs and start putting it together, Somehow the computer bends time so even though it feels like I've only been working 10 -15 min all of a sudden the alarm goes off I'm either at the 90 min mark or a set internal temp. So I grab all the stuff (usually just the memory chips) and run downstairs and get ready for the next part of the video. Then do it over again. At some point I usually walk out and ITS DARK?? What happen. What I'm saying is I lose track of time and rely on the alarms to keep me from overcooking. The new one would just stop sending but the base unit wouldn't tell me it had lost signal stuff like that. So when I heard that the fireboard start recording the second it was turned on (or started receiving data) I liked that! The graph was very appealing as well so I can see the decline of the wood or charcoal and predict when I might have to go stir the coals or add more wood. Plus the Alexa ad in where she will tell you the temp of all the probs and how long the current session has been going on sold me!! as stated before the meat had been in the bath for 90 min but had not yet reached 130. (It was at 128.3) Close enough I know but it was eye opening!!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	New Redi check.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	315349 The new unit I disliked!! Wasn't intuitive at all (to me anyway admittedly I am getting old so it just might be to advanced for me) So the short answer Love the new Fireboard it was easy to program easy to set up with Alexa and I love the Wifi connection never lose connection again!!

Comment

GadjetGriller, You May Want to Dedicate One Channel to Ambient Temps❓ Takes the BS Out Of The How Cold Was It, Questions❓ I honestly think FireBoard has a Faster Response Time than my Thermapen by Thermoworks!
          👍👍👍👍👍
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm hadn't thought about that seems logical. Thanks @Danjohnston94 Differently gonna have to order more probes lol

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here