Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tappecue 4 probe wifi thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tappecue 4 probe wifi thermometer

Do any of you know anything about the Tappecue thermometer? I had not heard of it before but I came across it on the internet and if its good, I might be interested in getting it. Since it transmits by wifi, I would be able to set up my smoker and then go to the gun club for some skeet shooting and be able to monitor the temp on my Iphone while I'm gone. The digital thermometer that I have now is bluetooth so I have to be in range of it to get the reading. What do you think?

Wireless thermometers are really coming along. There are quite a few options out there now. I have not used the Tappecue thermometer. However, I do have the Fireboard Wireless Thermometer. And I love it. It is expandable out to 6 probes, offers graphs and tables and you can access the info on the cloud, from anywhere. (even the gun club!) The unit it self is about the size of a pack of smokes, so it stores easily and there is only one unit, not two like other thermos. I am not sure how set you are on the Tappecue, but if you are considering a wireless thermometer, I would give Fireboard a serious look. It is a little bit more expensive or the base package, but it is worth it. I have the base model and it works great.

Comment

• VicKO
      VicKO commented
      Editing a comment
      I also bought the fireboard and am loving it. Simple to use and effective

I'm not set on the Tappecue at all. I just happened to come across it on the internet and thought the idea of being able to monitor my cook from other locations would be great. I didn't know about the Fireboard. I'll certainly look into it. Thanks.

Comment

There are also thermos out there that will control the temp of your cooker - depending on what you use. They come with up to 4 meat probes plus a pit probe. 3 I can think of off the top of my head are BBQ Guru, Pitmaster IQ, and Flame Boss. Any one of these might allow you to start a cook at night, go to bed and get a good night's sleep, and wake up to almost ready Q. Some are wifi enabled so that you can monitor remotely too.

Comment

I've had a Tappecue for almost 3 years and it had developed into a solid piece of kit. When it first came out, Tappecue was one of the only wifi-capable thermometers out there. Being first, there were some rough edges on the setup/operation and the interfaces (especially with Apple products) was sketchy. While they've had their growing pains, the company has continued to improve their hardware and software and it is a great tool. I've been fortunate to beta test some of their upgrades along the way and appreciate their commitment to improving their products and communication with their customers. I haven't had the opportunity to use a Fireboard so I can't offer a comparative opinion. Now if the manufacturer of Firebird or someone sends me a Firebird, I would be happy to conduct side-by-side comparisons.

Comment

I am also very interested in either the Tappecue or Fireboard. The frugal side of me is leaning toward the Tappecue, since I would be saving at least $65 (lower price, Amazon gift card, etc.).

Comment

I just got a Tappacue this last weekend after become frustrated with the lack of range on my bluetooth iGrill. Last night I did a test run on a Spatchkock chicken with great results. Being a quick cook I was just trying to see how the thing worked and it performed great. Also, the email it sent of the cook at the end of the session sure is handy.

Some observations;

The review on this website needs to be updated. This product deserves better than the "Bronze" rating it currently has. Most of the reviewers issues have been addressed in firmware and hardware updates. The one I bought this last weekend is on FW version 4 and the one in the review is of version 1.

That said, there are some things that make this unit not for the feint of heart. You have to have a a WPA2 Wi-Fi connection and a power source at your smoker. You have to be savvy with a computer, but the good news is that it works for both Mac and PC. Also, there is now a "Off Line" mode available through their app that solves the pesky "cloud only" issue.

The email I mentioned above is a wealth of information. But you better have Micosoft Office and know how to convert a .csv file using a Macro. Fortunately, I have a spouse that does that for a living so she was able to make me a killer spreadsheet that logs my cooks automagically. You may not be so lucky.

All in all I love it so far. Going to try some beef ribs and a longer cook tonight.

- Strolan

Comment

You can read Bill McGrath's (our thermometer guru and spec tester) review of it here: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...eters/tappecue

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here