Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like 1 degree or 0.1 degree displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like 1 degree or 0.1 degree displays

So I just got the classic Thermapen and it is at a 1 degree display as the default. Do I really need accuracy to 0.1 degree? I was going to change it but then it seemed that it would be more stable and just display the temp quicker with an integer. Would the 0.1 setting make it bounce more thus perhaps tempting you to keep the lid on the cooker open longer to see if it ever settled on 134.4 vs just hitting 134 and stabilizing.

Whole numbers for me, at home.

At work, I better be busting out a decimal's worth on my RT-600C.

Comment

I'm not a fan of decimal displays for realistic use in meat or cookers.

Comment

Not one of you guys are Virgos I bet!

Comment

I guess mine used to be set to tenths, but really, what's the point? Nope, my wife is the Virgo.

Comment

I wish I could change the display for the cooker temp so it would read, Too cold, Just Right or Too damned hot you dingbat. It has been really hard calming down the OCD when you are shooting for 250 and the damned thing is running 254.3. I have had to train myself to set low and high alarms and then just go about my business once I know I am running in the zone. For example, for ribs I have my zone set for 248-288 shooting for 275. I have had to adopt the horseshoes and hand grenades philosophy...close is good enough.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha!

• jgg85234
              jgg85234 commented
              Editing a comment
              Leave it on full degrees. 254 when you want 250 is only 4 degrees over. 254.3 is MORE than 4 degrees over. Completely unacceptable

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I'm not within 3.14 I'm not pulling the pi from the BBQ!

For use with home Q, going to tenths of a degree is just plain silly. really, even single degrees is overkill for what we do.

Comment

I'm starting to develop a complex in this thread fellas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	311690

Comment

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too Brother EdF. For the last 15 years I have been a designer for Boeing. Fun stuff, but need to sit down these days!

• jgg85234
                jgg85234 commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard the key to precision is to measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil and cut with an ax.

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                For a house yes.

Space Stations are down to 0.0005".

For cooking, a couple of degrees is all we need. Is it really going to make a difference if the cooker is 225 or 230 degrees?

Single digits for me.

/Virgo here

Comment

Given the tolerance of a Thermapen is about a degree +/- I don't really see any need for tenth of a degree readout.

Comment

Considering a hunk of meat could be considered done anywhere between 195 and 210 I think whole degrees are just fine.

Comment

Will leave it at 1 degree setting. More than enough accuracy and less annoying when the darn thing keeps changing up/down a .1.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here