Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been to three hog killin's and four county fairs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to three hog killin's and four county fairs...

... and never thought I'd see something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	310058
    I'm a big ThermoWorks fan, but this looks like a solution looking for a problem to me.

If someone wants to give me one of them, I'll come up with a problem for it to solve.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly

I've had the ThermaQ for a bunch of years, with the pit and meat probes. It's winner. A few month back I added the needle probe and tape. Haven't tried it yet, but I think the next time a big piece of pork goes into the SV, I will be.

Nothing like making sure it's where you think it is!
    Last edited by EdF; April 25, 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Lowjiber i just showed my little guy your post title, we love it!

So I don't own nor I have I eaten SV food. So pardon my ignorance (I don't hesitate to display it w my Pit brethren)...

if if you set the sv to 130 degrees, can one not assume the internal temp is 130 as well? I thought that was the purpose.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        With big pieces of meat, it can happen that the center doesn't get there if you run it for too short a time. Not usually a problem, because the big pieces tend to get cooked a long time.

Kind of an old post...but I just found it...looking for something else. LOL

Anyway...
      At first I thought the same...and in no uncertain terms said it was a stupid idea. Seriously. Why?

Then I SV two steaks with one cooker...and needed them finished at two different temps.
      The SV probe was ordered shortly after.

Set the SV device to the "most done" temp and get the first steak in the bath...sometime later, I can add the second and when it hits the desired temp I know they're both perfect.

Obviously one probably shouldn't leave the first one at temp for hours before adding the second...but a little extra time won't harm it. Remove and sear as desired.

Full disclosure: I still simply cook 99% of my steaks on the grill...but the SV machine is kind of a fun toy to have and just another tool to use. (Read: I'm not an expert at SV. Despite using them in a professional kitchen for a time.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here