Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermapen MK4 speed vs. RT600C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermapen MK4 speed vs. RT600C

I recently got a MK4 during their open box sale a couple weeks back, but it looks to steady out in the 4-6 second range rather than the 2-3 second range. In a side-by-side test with my older (and cheaper!) RT600C, the performance between the two was pretty much identical. It's accurate, just not quite as fast as I was led to believe. Anybody else seen this? Did I perhaps get a dud, or is the speed marketing a bit overhyped? I've posed the same question to tech support so we'll see what they say.

I'm on my third Thermapen - this one is a MK 4, and none of them have gone from ambient temp to cooked temp in 2 sec. And the bigger the difference, the longer it takes.

Comment

I have the same combination at home, so I will try it out, and let you know. For me, the main draw of the MK4 was the intelligent backlight, and rotating display, since I am left-handed. I also like that it automatically comes on when you pick it up. One thing about the RT600 that always disappointed was the lack of a backlight.

Comment

Same here but after using other cheap thermometers which took forever I'm happy with 4 - 6 seconds.... One thing I've learned in life is that things rarely work as advertised. And I expect that now. Like my electric bicycle promised a range of 70 km's but having had an electric bike before with similar specs I new that's not gonna happen. I get 25 km's and that's what I expected... And all I need.. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with your thermapen .... Its the way they work..

Comment

Ahh, OK. So it sounds like mine's normal then. I do like the additional features of the MK4 as Thunder77 mentioned, and it is still my go to over the RT600C because of them. But with all the hype over the speed of the thing I was just trying to figure out if my "open box" might be of lesser quality than a new model or if I needed to look into the warranty further. Sounds like no need to... thanks for the input!

Comment

As a follow-up, tech support is sending a replacement. Rep said he just tested it and it went from 212 to 32 degrees in two seconds, which if true is clearly better than the one I currently have. Their customer service is second to none!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              It would be interesting to compare both of them under the same conditions.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here