Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke dual probe troubles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TimRobinson
    commented on 's reply
    Hooray!

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Tim, I have already received and synced the warranty replacement receiver. I am all happy again!

• TimRobinson
    commented on 's reply
    Thunder77, So sorry for your frustration. This problem affected a small percentage of our very first batch of Smokes. If you contact our customer service at [email protected] or 1-800-393-6434 today, they will replace the unit and you will be printing smiley faces again. Tim (@ThermoWorks)

• W.A.
    replied
    I toasted a grate probe for the smoke when I let my kamado get out of hand with flames coming out the top vent. Watch out for that.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    I have had way more trouble with Maverick probes than Thermoworks probes. I haven't replaced a Thermoworks probe yet. But the Smoke receiver on the other hand... it makes me wonder if Thermoworks is having quality control issues, or they rushed the Smoke into production too quickly. I just received a warranty replacement of my receiver. It would not sync with the base any longer. And of course, it quit in the middle of a long cook, on the coldest day I had cooked yet, meaning I had to keep peeking out the back door to check temps. Grrrrrr...

I have read in the Pit that others have had this issue with the receiver. It definitely makes me wonder if Thermoworks is slipping a bit.

That said, they do have good customer service. They sent me a replacement with no argument. They were very pleasant to deal with.
    Last edited by Thunder77; March 11, 2017, 07:18 AM. Reason: Added content

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    I liked the explanation, being an electronics technician myself.

• KevinG
    replied
    You all make valid points. ronminbc , thanks for the thorough diagnosis...that briefly sent me back to neurophysiology class! Ive been pleased with the Smoke, minus that one incident. I'll make the Thermoworks team aware of what happened. I'm also going to order two back up probes to have on hand. Thanks to all for the input to date.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    No need to apologize, ronminbc . I enjoyed reading your explanation of what was probably going on with the weird readings. Enjoy your retirement when it happens--more time to BBQ!

Kathryn

• ronminbc
    replied
    I have the Smoke unit and have not had any trouble with it. In my comment above I was just mentioning what can happen if the internals of the probe or the plug end gets wet and how that can result in a false high temp reading. Smokers can be very moist places. The Thermoworks probes are considered commercial grade from what I have read so problems should not be frequent and their customer service is very good. I have also read that drying the bad probe out in a low temp oven can make the probe work properly again. Sorry about my explanation about how they work, being an electronics engineer for 40+ years and an electronics hobbyist 10 years before that I lose track of myself and out comes technobabble. I am now on the edge of retiring and enjoying this site a lot as a new hobby.

Leave a comment:

• JPGators17
    replied
    I haven't had that issue, but I did have the base and receiver freeze on me. I started getting suspicious when I didn't see even a tenth of a degree change for 30 mins or more. I restarted the units and it jumped up to the "real" temp. Other than having to re-sync the receiver more often than I'd like, that's the only issue i've had with it.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds as though that circumstance is something that the Thermoworks/Smoke folks need to address. Moisture and cooking outside go hand in hand. The probes need to be more robust, seems like. Having so many folks report the same problem makes me skittish about buying the Smoke.

I'm holding out for when the Thermoworks folks buy the Fireboard.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Not anymore

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah but....huh?

• ronminbc
    replied
    The Smoke/Chef Alarm/DOT probes are thermistor based. The way they work is the tip contains a temperature sensitive resistor that has less resistance the hotter it gets. The casing plus an insulated wire inside the casing bring that out to the plug allowing the Smoke unit to measure the tip resistance and interpret that as a temperature reading. If any moisture gets into the circuit at the plug end or down inside the probe it can form a high resistance short. The Smoke unit will read both resistances in parallel which will be a lower resistance than the probe tip thermistor by itself resulting in a false high temperature reading.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    I remember when Maverick was your favorite

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here