Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke dual probe troubles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzzydaddy
    commented on 's reply
    That's great to hear!

• KevinG
    replied
    Thanks guys, Ive not had further troubles with the Smoke, if I do I'll call them. I used the grate probe and the meat probe this past Saturday night doing a sirloin tip roast without issue, which was pretty awesome. Had some neighbors over then on Sunday, Mk4 thermopen was awesome. 8 adults, some wanted rare, others medium rare, and medium well. Would have been tricky if I didn't have the thermopen, I feel like I'm cheating when I use it! Everyone was pleased with the doneness.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinG View Post
    ...After about 2 hours or so, the meat probe was nearing 100. Then all hell broke loose...suddenly the alarm was going off saying the meat was now 140...a 40 degree jump in seconds....
    That's happened to me before. I set the probe to the side and used a different probe for the rest of the cook. The next cook the problem probe worked just fine. Maybe it was water like the others mentioned? I dunno. The Smoke/ChefAlarm/DOT are still my fav thermometers when I'm not logging data. Fireboard is my fav for logging cooks.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    This is too weird. I just had to contact T-works myself a couple days ago because I had a meat probe reading 40 degrees high for no good reason. They promptly sent me a warranty replacement. In my house at 68-70 it's dead on, but in any type of hotter environment it will climb 40 degrees high. I thought my Maverick was reading low, turns out the Mav was right and the Smoke probe was off. Whoddathunkit.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    ecowper - just posted it in show up what you are cooking, spring edition. Thanks a ton for the Fireboard suggestion. It was invaluable yesterday.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    tbob4 will be interested in what you learned, for sure. I am still going to make my corned beef from scratch with some Painted Hills beef, but I suspect what you learned will probably apply.

• CaptainMike
    replied
    The receiver for my Smoke went on the fritz and Thermoworks replaced it immediately. Great customer service. I'd give them a call and explain what happened, just for peace of mind.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    That could very well be right. Hey - if you find the SRF corned round up your way and decide to buy it I have some cooking advice learned yesterday by trial and error. I will post it a bit later.

• fuzzydaddy
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe the next sale they have I'll grab one. Thank you for your encouragement!

• ecowper
    replied
    tbob4 I remember you talking about that last month. The more I think about it, the more it seems like the issue I had once with my Maverick a while ago. I think it's moisture at the plug end of the probe.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    replied
    I have the Fireboard and something similar has happened twice with the grate probe. It shot way up on an instant. Unplugging it and plugging it back in solved the problem. I was going to call the company but I have used it a few times since and it hasn't replicated. Your gremlin description is likely right.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    KevinG I had a probe on my Maverick ET-732 behave similarly. I unplugged, removed from the meat, cleaned the thing from one end to the other. Then plugged back in and .... voila ..... it was working fine again, reading same temp as my Thermapen. I ordered new probes that day so that I would have extras. But my conclusion is that I had a little bit of moisture on the plug end of the probe. Have not yet had any of those kind of problems with my Fireboard, but I'm sure with the sort of use my BBQ tools get, I'll find the "issues".

fuzzydaddy the Thermapen Mk IV is the best upgrade ever. I thought I was a bit silly for getting one when I already had the regular Thermapen. Heck no .... the backlighting and rotating display make it 100% better! Next time they put them on sale, get you one!

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    commented on 's reply
    My over the coals probe is the only one of my mess ups I'll reveal at this time. Haha. I have the regular thermapen. Maybe I'll get the MK4 in 2017.

• KevinG
    commented on 's reply
    It's fate I guess, which I would have had that kind of epiphany, but AR saved me from my heathen ways!

• customtrim
    commented on 's reply
    KevinG best thing that happened to me was walki g out the door to check my temp with a cheap thermometer and the screen door caught in the jamb bending it. Immediate time for a upgrade to the mk4

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here