Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice tool!

Comment

That may be the best tool I've purchased. I've owned, and ultimately wrestled with, 2 mavs. setting the smoke is far easier too. Enjoy.

Comment

Congratulations on the Smoke.

I had a 733 before the Smoke saved my life. Programming the 733 is akin to programming a computer to land a spaceship on Mars. I think the firmware routines were written by Woody Woodpecker.

One thing (the only thing) about the 733 vs. Smoke... The range of the 733 is a slight bit longer. With my cook in the backyard, I can go anywhere in my stucco house and get good signals from both. However, when I go in my attached garage, the firewall and firedoor seem to be just enough to make the Smoke lose the wireless signal. It reconnects as soon as I go back in the house.

Comment

I've been watching the smoke for some time. I'm really waiting for the wireless adapter to be available for purchase. Does anyone have any tips as to weather they would prefer the smoke w/ wireless (when available) or the Fireboard?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I too, am torn between the Smoke and the Firebaord.

• BigCountryQ
            BigCountryQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the thing that drives me more towards the Fireboard is the ability to have more channels, and it's already got the cloud connected gateway built in.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I chose Smoke because I already own several ChefAlarms and DOTs from ThermoWorks and the probes work with Smoke. I still want the Fireboard :-)

MCS is starting to boil over!!! I really want one of these. I am tired of the Mavericks.
          I watched David and Baby Back Maniac's review and comparison in ABC's Youtube Channel. The Smoke is clearly a much better set up than the Mavs.
          The thing that stuck in my head the most was the 40 seconds it took for the Mav to realize that it was disconnected from the base. The Smoke took only 7 seconds.
          Plus, they mentioned that the build quality much better. Especially the probes, which have the springs around the connection point. This limits crimping and has to make for a longer probe life. They also appear to be much easier to program and read.

Might have to make the jump today!!
          Thanks for posting.

Link to video is below. Check it out. David and Baby Back Maniac have teamed up, and they make some pretty good content!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I have been looking at both. Price is the only thing holding me back on the Fireboard. But then again....where is that link!!!! EdF

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            There, you happy? Just bought the Fireboard! hahahaha. EdF Thanks for the push!!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL! I don't think you're going to regret it!

Lucky!!! I've actually been saving my pennies for one.

Comment

Because the anticipation was killing me and Spinaker making his purchase announcement, I couldn't hold back. I ended up ordering the Fireboard. Dang MCS was killing me this morning. Which model did you order Spinaker ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMisunderstood View Post
              Because the anticipation was killing me and Spinaker Spinaker ?
              I just got the base model. I don't really have a need for 6 probes and what not at this time. But I love how you can just add a probe when you need too. Makes it easy! Congrats on your purchase. What did you go with? I also picked up an Amazon Echo to pair with it. (I needed one anyway) I have heard really good things about these units.

Comment

I went with the 6 probe unit. I decided I only wanted to pay for shipping once. That's good enough reason right!? Haha. I don't have the echo, that I'm still finding trouble justifying.
                I don't need all 6 at this moment either, but I do several large cooks throughout the summer. It'd be nice to have more science behind those larger cooks!

Comment

Hmn, have I started an avalanche of FireBoard purchases? Time will tell!

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think you have.

Family gave me a Smoke for my birthday. It replaced my iGrill Mini for longer smokes (still use the iGrill for reverse seared steaks). It's a stout unit and the magnets really 'grab' - A+

Gunsmokers ~

Comment

Hmmm... I'm sticking with my Maverick ET-735 until it dies. I have a 4 probe capacity and it has Bluetooth so I can track it from my phone or iPad from the house. I've had it for about 2 years with no problems so... no need for the newest latest new gadget, yet.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep. My Mavs still work fine too. This was nothing but a full fledged MCS purchase. Common sense doesn't always rein supreme. 😂

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

I just got the base model. I don't really have a need for 6 probes and what not at this time. But I love how you can just add a probe when you need too. Makes it easy! Congrats on your purchase. What did you go with? I also picked up an Amazon Echo to pair with it. (I needed one anyway) I have heard really good things about these units.
                    Hold that thought! LOL That is music to my ears.

I have my entire house, garage, and the backyard gazebo automated with Alexa. I didn't know the Fireboard would accept commands from Alexa. How does the FB/Echo combination work?

(I use five Echo Dots... four are connected to their own JBL wireless speakers and the other is connected to my home stereo system.)
                    Last edited by Lowjiber; March 1, 2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure how it works yet. I believe you can ask Alexa temps and what not. I haven't played around with it yet. But as soon as I open my 🔥 board I will get it paired and see what it's like. Lowjiber

• Lowjiber
                      Lowjiber commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That will be really cool if all works out. Thanks

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice setup Lowjiber!

Okay guys, I got the Fireboard today!

So far I have been very impressed with what I have seen. The package was packed well and everything was intact.

Initially, I was surprised at the small size of the unit. Its about the size of a pack of smokes. With 6 ports, I was expecting a large board that I was going to have to lug out to the cooker. I don't know about my brethren, but space in my prep and cooking areas is always at a premium.

Everything was individually wrapped and in good order when I opened the box. I got two food probes and one ambient probe. I must say, these are built very well. Look at the connection between the lead and the probe. The springs are made of stainless and flexible to prevent them from damage. These appear to be pretty similar to the heavy construction that you get with the SMOKE.
                    I downloaded the app and in a few minutes I had the unit paired and renamed. I love that you can rename each probe. I know some people don like the fact that you need to use your PD to run this, but I love it. It's where everything is headed anyway. The app is easy to use and the graphing feature is a huge plus. And you can start tracking your cook when ever you want.
                    The controller is nice, well built and compact. One thing I would really like to see is, something on the back, like a clip to hook the controller on something while it's outside doing it's thing. Maybe mine just didn't come with one, and maybe it supposed to; but I don't like the idea of just laying it down, face up, on my cook table.

So far I am really impressed. It will get its first real test this weekend. Or maybe tomorrow......probably tomorrow.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Unboxing.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.38 MB ID:	283395Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Meat Probe.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.41 MB ID:	283396Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Controller.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.20 MB ID:	283397Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Probe:Lead Connection.JPG Views:	1 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	283398Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Layed Out:Complete.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.18 MB ID:	283399

Comment

Construction looks great. Maybe you can get a flat magnet and glue or velcro it on the back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here