Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Clean Thermoworks Grate Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Clean Thermoworks Grate Probes

I have the ThermaQ and Smoke, and I regularly use the grate probes. And of course they get smoke and maybe other residue as well on them during the cook. I called Thermoworks and asked them for the recommended way to clean them, and they told me to use a soft cloth and water. But that isn't easy, and doesn't get off all the residue.

So I was wondering how the Pit members here clean their probes after a cook.

I don't, per se. If I see they are getting "chrudded up" considerably on the tip I scrape that off mainly for a piece of mind more less while setting up for a cook.

Comment

If you soak them for a little while first, the residue comes off much easier, but really pay little attention to them unless they are really nasty.

Comment

• lschweig
        lschweig commented
        Editing a comment
        Correction I only meant the tip.

Originally posted by lschweig View Post
      If you soak them for a little while first, the residue comes off much easier, but really pay little attention to them unless they are really nasty.
      Er ... careful with soaking them. The probe in question isn't waterproof.

Comment

The only moisture I want touching my probes is the humidity in the smoker/cooker and the moisture in the meat.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          To quote an Aggie friend of mine: "Absotively Posiloutely!!!"

I use red scotch brite

Comment

I have never given much thought to cleaning the grill grate probes but I guess if they ever needed cleaning I would only clean the metal tip of the probe with some Dawn and a scotch brite pad being careful to leave the wire alone especially where it goes into the metal probe.

Comment

I clean all of my probes with an alcohol wipe.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              I use alcohol swabs all the time, including for my probes.

I soak all my probes in a glass of water mix with Dawn but I leave about an inch of the probes out of the water solution so no moisture gets inside the probes. Works great so far for three years with no problem.

Comment

Here is how my probes looks after a good soaking and cleaning Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.4 (1).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	272337

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here