Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help choosing a thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing a thermometer

Im pretty much a rookie bbq'er. Received a WSM 18.5 for Christmas. I'm looking for a thermometer and can't decide on which one I should buy. Perhaps I could get some help from all the pros out there. I've been looking at the Fireboard, Digi q dx2 and thermoworks. Any ideas? Pros v cons? Thanks to everyone and I'm learning so much since joining Amazing Ribs. Thanks again.

A hearty welcome from Illinois.

From what I've seen I would go with the Fireboard, if I had a choice, but other ones will work very well like Mavericks or Thermoworks. It sort of depends upon your current budget and how far you want to get into this BBQ madness that afflicts all of us here.

Comment

I bought the Fireboard at the advice of a few folks here. I love it. It is WiFi capable out of the box. If you are going to be doing different meats on it or are going to be cooking on different levels it has six ports so it is really nice. It graphs your cook really well and you can export the data to an .XLS spreadsheet. The Thermoworks proponents who weighed in were just as happy with their devices and from what I have been reading, it is going to be WiFi capable any day now. It's range is supposed to be really good, as well.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got an older Thermoworks something or other, with two jacks. K style probes! Basically the device was a breakthrough for my cooks (and they have a sous-vide suitable probe). But if you're inclined towards more ports and remote control, I'd recommend the Fireboard at this point in time.

Welcome to the Pit!
      I don't own any of the ones listed here. I own Mavericks. They work pretty well. but they are not good as the Smoke, by Thermoworks. I don't own the smoke but I have heard very good things. I own a few of their other products and the quality is industrial grade.

I know Danjohnston949 and tbob4 have a firebird and he loves it.

The Digi q dx2 is also a great unit, but it is a controller and a thermo. So it will regulate that temps in your cooker. These are nice but I would stay away from that right now, until you learn how to run your rig manually. And I am not sure if they make an adapter for it to fit the WSM.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

Comment

• Sarg
        Sarg commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Smoke thermometer and have found it to be very inaccurate.

SARG

The Maverick is a great thermometer for the price. The Smoke from Thermoworks is also a great thermometer, not a whole lot of difference between it and the Maverick really. I have heard nothing but good about the Fireboard which I'm planning on purchasing soon. So I guess you can't really go wrong on whichever thermometer you choose.

Comment

Unless you have unlimited funds, get a Maverick ET-732 and also get a good instant read like the ThermoWorks ThermaPen MK-4.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said. I have a WSM and I use the Maverick ET-732 and a Thermapen, and they work great.. The range on the maverick is 300 feet. I suffer from MCS and want a Fireboard, but there are many other MCS devices I want first.

I have a maverick 2 dots and the cyberq I use the maverick the most but also just got the cyber q. The maverick has proven to be reliable. Ask yourself what do you want to do, do you want or need WiFi, a phone app, just want to monitor the temperature or monitor and control, then it makes it easier to decide. With the control and WiFi you can start the cook in the morning go to work and have dinner when you get home

Comment

Do you already have an instant read thermo like a Thermoworks MK4 or a Lavatools Javelin?

If not, I would start there.

Comment

I really like my Stoker 2. Wi-Fi and web server (change pit temp from anywhere you are online). Fan control. Charting in apps. Multiple pit control. Accepts a HUGE number of probes. Easy, easy, easy, set up.

Downside... expensive compared to others.

Comment

Maverick and thermoworks MK4 has always been reliable for me. If my maverick dies I'll probably replace with the smoke.

Comment

Most important thing to remember that no one has pointed out is with thermoworks you get free jellybeans

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yessss!!!! Jelly Belly's ROCK!!!!

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love me some Thermobeans!

Welcome JOE E! I have a ThermoWorks Thermapen and ThermoPop for instant read units and have had zero problems with them. At $29 and 3-4 seconds read time, the ThermoPop is very economical. For leave in units, I started out with a ChefAlarm and a DOT and when the ThermoWorks Smoke came out and I saw it used the same Pro-Series meat and air probes as the ChefAlarm and DOT, it was a no-brainer for me. The Pro-Series Waterproof Needle Probe reads in 3-5 seconds so it can double as an instant read. I hear that ThermoWorks customer service is top notch, though I've never contacted them since all my units have worked flawlessly.

We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by JOE E View Post
                  Im pretty much a rookie bbq'er. Received a WSM 18.5 for Christmas. I'm looking for a thermometer and can't decide on which one I should buy. Perhaps I could get some help from all the pros out there. I've been looking at the Fireboard, Digi q dx2 and thermoworks. Any ideas? Pros v cons? Thanks to everyone and I'm learning so much since joining Amazing Ribs. Thanks again.
                  Joe,

You're exactly where I was at back in April of last year. New to smoking with a WSM 18.5.

For on-demand meat temperatures, I use a Thermoworks Thermapen MK4. Thermoworks also makes a less expensive alternative called the Thermopop.

For grate/meat temperature monitors, I have a Thermoworks ThermaQ, and the new Smoke. I like the Smoke better, since it has a (passive) remote unit that allows me to sit here reading AmazingRibs.com while my WSM smokes ribs or whatever.
                  Last edited by TBoneJack; February 4, 2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

JOE E ,

Most people probably like to use meat probes, so take this post with a grain of salt:

I haven't found much use for the meat probes in either my ThermaQ or Smoke. I can easily get by with opportunistically using my Thermapen to monitor meat temperatures. I'm careful to not open the lid too often, my cooking times are comparable to the standard estimated times, and I've never overshot my intended IT (internal temperature).

That being said, using a meat probe might appeal to you because the WSM has the lower-level grate that is not easily accessible. In my case, I've found ways to work around that limitation, and am about to semi-retire my WSM anyway (although I'm glad I'll have it in reserve to smoke fish and to use as a second smoker when I have a big group to cook for).

In my case, using the meat probe(s) gave no advantage, but did give me the hassle of an extra probe to clean after the cook. The only benefit for me in using two probes would be if I wanted to monitor grate temperature at two different points.

Comment

I had a serious MCS flare up this morning!!!! I was looking at the Fireboard. Now I want one. Don't know if I can hold out much longer! I already have four MAvs. But no wifi, app, graphs or multiple probes. Sanity.......please wash over me.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                        Danjohnston949 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        See Below! Come In from the Dark Side! 👍😇👍
                        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• SmokingSteve
                        SmokingSteve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like it is too late for that already! LOL

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh I fell hard for the Fireboard. Couldn't be happier. Great set up! SmokingSteve

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here