Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke & MK4 - pretty big temp difference between them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Smoke & MK4 - pretty big temp difference between them.

This was kind of weird.

I used a Smoke, for a relatively fast cook, on a rack of Pork. I had the alarm for the meat probe set for 145. The probe was inserted into the thickest part of the meat, from the side, so almost the entire probe was in the roast.

The alarm went off at 145 but the Thermapen read 160, in the thickest part, and 170 in other parts of the roast. Ugh!! Pork was overcooked.

When I checked with the MK4, I made sure to put the probe as close as possible to the tip of the Smoke probe, and the reading went down slightly, but not much.

I don't understand. Just to make sure that nothing was amiss, I stuck the tips of both probes into boiling water, and both thermometers read the same, so it must be something that I'm doing, but what could that be?

I've used a Maverick for years, and never had this much of a difference between it, and an instant-read thermometer. I know this type of temp swing is possible, on larger cuts of meat, but a rack of pork isn't that big and I know that I stuck the MK4 probe very close to where the Smoke probe was.

Now this this thing is making me a little nervous. I have a standing rib roast, that I'm planning on cooking, and I don't want to ruin it.

Do you think it had something to do with having the Smoke probe inserted almost completely into the roast? Any tips, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

That is interesting. I know if you slide cold pieces of meat onto a thermometer probe all the way down to the end and keep adding them until eventually the tip is covered, the temp will start dropping even when nothing is over the tip itself, or even close to the tip for that matter.

I wonder what could have allowed it to read that low.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      That is interesting. I know if you slide cold pieces of meat onto a thermometer probe all the way down to the end and keep adding them until eventually the tip is covered, the temp will start dropping even when nothing is over the tip itself, or even close to the tip for that matter.

I wonder what could have allowed it to read that low.
      Agreed. I'm almost afraid to ask, but I gotta know. What possessed you slide those cold pieces of meat onto a thermometer probe?

Joking aside, I emailed Thermoworks customer service. I'll let you know they're response.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a work thing. Think chicken hearts or livers or gizzards that should be 40.0 degrees F or less being temped.

I guess it's just one of those flukey things. Before the next cook, I'll check the temp on both thermometers, before I put meat in the kettle. Here's Thermoworks response. I love their customer service

Temperature gradients like you describe are not uncommon when cooking meat. You will always see the temperature drop as you progress from the outer edges of your meat towards the center.

The sensor is in the very tip of the probe so the depth of the probe won't affect the temperature, other than the position of the tip being in a different location.

Your Thermapen does take readings fast enough that you can go in slowly and watch the numbers drop as you slowly move through the meat. Once you see the numbers start to climb, you know you have passed the thermal center and you can pull back a little to get the most accurate reading.

If there are bones or gristle, these can affect your readings as well.

One way to verify the accuracy of your thermometer is by performing a proper ice bath test. Instructions for this can be found here. If you are not seeing the appropriate temperatures please let me know.

Comment

Whenever I'm using electronic thermos I always just set the probes side by side and get an ambient air reading just to make sure that they are all reading in the same ballpark (I don't worry about a couple °F difference) just to make sure there are no gremlins in the various probes/devices.

Sounds like Thermoworks has explained your particular scenario but I would still do a systems check before committing them to the cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
          Whenever I'm using electronic thermos I always just set the probes side by side and get an ambient air reading just to make sure that they are all reading in the same ballpark (I don't worry about a couple °F difference) just to make sure there are no gremlins in the various probes/devices.

Sounds like Thermoworks has explained your particular scenario but I would still do a systems check before committing them to the cook.
          Got that right.

That's a great idea. I've used digital, and instant-read, thermometers for years before I bought the Smoke, and this is the first time that's ever happened.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here