Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermoworks Smoke Gateway (Wifi) coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermoworks Smoke Gateway (Wifi) coming...

In case it isn't common knowledge, I just noticed that the Smoke thermometer features list says "COMING 2017 - Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi) & Smartphone App" at the bottom.

Coincidentally, I am currently at work and having to get temp updates on the chuck roast I'm smoking from my wife, who's at home, via text message right now. She's not exactly thrilled about the temp checking requests, and I'm not thrilled with her slow response time, so this will be a welcome addition with my MCS!

Anyone know if the original units can be adapted, or will Wifi capability only be built in to the next generation of Smoke?

You know what I do? I have a camera supposed to be used as a baby monitor. I've repurposed it to be a BabyQ cam. Problem solved (for me anyway).

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny, I was just joking about how I should use our doggy cam for that.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      My condo has some security cameras I thought about hanging the a unit in front of the camera.

JPGators17 - Hahahahahahaha. Wait until you feel like you have a fever. I'll bet she puts that Smoke thermometer to good use. And you think her response time is slow now?

Comment

Yep I have a security camera that is WiFi I set it up so I can see the maverick Cant make any adjustments but its nice piece of mind while I'm out getting the things I forgot to get for the cook the day before!
      Last edited by GadjetGriller; February 2, 2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

JPGators17 I'm sorry to say that unless they already built the WiFi radio into the unit (which they may have if they knew it was coming soon but I wouldnt bet of it) you will have to get the next generation of Smoke to get the WiFi and app capability.

Oh Im a bit slow the gateway is an add on device!! I figured it was just a feature the new ones would have built in. Ok so as usual I'm wrong! (happens all the time lol) very kool deal.
        Last edited by GadjetGriller; February 2, 2017, 12:50 PM. Reason: add a update

Comment

Good news. The gateway will work with your Smoke. From ThermoWorks / Smoke / More Info:

6. When Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) comes out will it work with my existing Smoke or do I need to buy a new Smoke base unit?
          Smoke Gateway will work with your existing Smoke when it becomes available. You will not need to buy a new Smoke. Smoke Gateway simply retrieves the wireless transmission from Smoke and pushes it to your Smartphone.

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            awesome.

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
          You know what I do? I have a camera supposed to be used as a baby monitor. I've repurposed it to be a BabyQ cam. Problem solved (for me anyway).
          Brilliant!

Comment

So it sounds like the gateway is a relay - converting the existing wireless signal and broadcasting a wifi signal.

Y'know, thinking of all the bluetooth devices out there, wouldn't it be cool for there to be a device you could pair with one or more to broadcast over wifi?

Comment

Anybody thinking about buying a Smoke and WiFI Gateway Combo should take a good look at the Fireboard thermometer.

Same price but with more capabilities.

The FireBoard is a wifi-enabled digital thermometer designed to operate via your smartphone or through the web. Learn more today.

Comment

• JPGators17
                JPGators17 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't see a price for the Gateway listed yet. If adding it puts the total package up to $189, I can see your point.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                My understanding is that the Smoke Gateway is going to be $90 and only support one Smoke. Fireboard is $190 for the base unit plus 1 grate probe and 2 meat probes. Or $250 for 2 grate probes and 6 meat probes, although you can only use 6 probes at one time.

JPGators17 Thermoworks says the MSRP of the Gateway will be $89.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 4.53.05 PM.png
Views:	163
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	270391

Comment

Looks cool but I wish they would make a wireless interface for their ThermaQ. ;-)

Or a wireless ThermaQ...because yeah...I clearly need yet another one. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JPGators17 View Post
                  She's not exactly thrilled about the temp checking requests, and I'm not thrilled with her slow response time, so this will be a welcome addition with my MCS!

TRIGGERED!!!!!!!! Best excuse for an MCS attack I've ever seen!!!!

"Yes, Hello, Thermoworks? JPGators here, Yes of Amazingribs.com fame. My wife just flared up my MCS, again. So I guess I am looking for the new Smoke Thermometer.........Yeah the new Smoke thermo.......Yeah yeah. Yeah, I'll take two. "

Comment

Speaking of thermometers with Wifi, anyone get a Meater yet? Last I heard, they were claiming shipments starting in late January. I am hoping this month!!!

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                      BriggsBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Going to start a Kickstarter called Beater to beat up the people that are behind the Meater.

• JGrana
                      JGrana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It has been one of my more disappointing Kickstarter backings... I still hold out hope. With $2M raised I would think they have something....Maybe this month ;-)

• BriggsBBQ
                      BriggsBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope they make good on their promises. Lot's of people on here bought it. I almost did too.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here