Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding probe mounts / grommets in the UK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding probe mounts / grommets in the UK ?

I've had a look at a few of the DIY posts on here for running probes into a kettle. I've got the 57cm Weber One-Touch that I use for smoking. I used to run my Maverick probes under the lid, but in my hamfisted fashion, I managed to crimp and damage one, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've also got a DigiQ on the way, so I don't want to run these through the bottom grate as I believe I'll need to leave this closed from now on, especially in windy conditions.

Does anyone know of something similar to the eyelets that bbq guru sell (https://bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=5&ProductId=51), but big enough for the Maverick probes to run through ?

Alternatively, what kind of silicon grommets should I be looking for, and how do I seal the hole in these when not using probes ?

Thanks,

I can't speak for the grommets, but to seal the hole just put a magnet over the hole.

Comment

You don't need a grommet - a close nipple with a nut or two will work very well. You can pass all the probes through one hole if you get it big enough. Use either brass or ss for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by lschweig View Post
        I can't speak for the grommets, but to seal the hole just put a magnet over the hole.
        Ooh - I like magnets. Dunno why I didn't think of that.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          You don't need a grommet - a close nipple with a nut or two will work very well. You can pass all the probes through one hole if you get it big enough. Use either brass or ss for safety.
          Disclaimer - I'm not a handy person. Most DIY projects involve 3 trips to the hardware store and some repair / remediation

Wouldn't this then leave a permanent hole through the kettle with no seal ? Or are there cap-type nuts I can get to put over the outside end when not using probes ?

Thanks!

Comment

When not in use you can screw on a cap to the close nipple to seal it up or just plug it with something,

Comment

Originally posted by lschweig View Post
              When not in use you can screw on a cap to the close nipple to seal it up or just plug it with something,
              Thanks - Close nipple doesn't seem to be as common a search term over here. I can't find any on screwfix.co.uk or diy.co.uk. I found a couple of hex nipple's at screwfix, and I might be able to use that, with a nut on the other side - will have to get my hands on one to check.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Anonymouslemming - If you can print the photo I linked to, take that to a plumbing supply business and tell them what you want to do with it. Don't forget you will need a nut or two.

If you are in a pinch, just insert probes through the hole, then insert an expandable earplug in the gap to fill. Works like a charm and won't melt up to 400F.

Here is another grommet choice, but the earplug is much cheaper and faster.

The Yoder Smokers Probe Port allows you to run temperature probes into your pit without running them under the door or through the stack.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, expandable ear plug? So, when the meat isn't ready according to MLW's timetable I can stick the other one in my ear to block out half of the crying and moaning. LoL!

Originally posted by Shane Rakow View Post
              If you are in a pinch, just insert probes through the hole, then insert an expandable earplug in the gap to fill. Works like a charm and won't melt up to 400F.
              You mean something like this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=amazi0a8-20 ? I never would have thought of that - would have been too scared of it melting.

Here is another grommet choice, but the earplug is much cheaper and faster.

http://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-p...wood-pits.html
              yeah, that's similar to the others I looked at, but with the same problem - can't find one in the UK.

Ordering from the US is quite expensive. First there's fairly high postage. Then customs get involved and adds some duties, and VAT. And then because there have been duties to process, the courier slaps on an admin fee of between GBP5 and GBP9. So by the time you're done, you may more in postage and fees than you do for the product

Comment

I would go to your local hardware store first. The close nipple can be also made from black iron.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here