Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of the Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Danjohnston949...I'm not the best with tools but I have no fear. The fearlessness has cost me $$$ from time to time. When I get the unit you have convinced me to drill. I already have the step bit since I drilled a hole for my probe port already so I have that experience already. Does fireboard make a weber adapter like the one for your pit viper fan or will the pit viper weber adapter work with the fireboard fan? Would I be better off with a fireboard pit viper combo like yours?

Comment

OSB, I Don't Know if FireBoard Hanles The Adtrer or Not I'll Check For You and Add the Info to This Tkread If Co❗️ Give LORIE DIPALANTINO WITH the BBQGURU A CALL‼️ Her #: IS EXT #: 7,
      (800) 288-4878❗️ Her eMai Address Address Is: [email protected], Also [email protected]❗️ Lori Is Well Versed In Her Product and Mpst Accomadating Gal, IMLTHOP❗️ I Have the "PIT VIPER" Fan (10 CFM) on My 22 1/2" Weber‼️ I Use The Larger ((20 CFM) "PIT BULL" Fan On My OKJ Highland Offset Stick Burner❗️ lIt Has the Same Bulkhead Adapter As The Weber and I Switch Either the DigiQ-DX-2 Controler or the FireBoard Depending On The Day❓❓
      I Hope This Helps You❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

PS: THE ATTACHÉD PIC SHOWS THE BBQGURU RCOMMENDED LOCATIONS FOR THE FAN LOCATIONS‼️

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	499505Click image for larger version

Views:	198
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	499506Click image for larger version

Views:	210
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	499507Click image for larger version

Views:	211
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	499508

Comment

Working on my second cook on the WSM using the Fireboard Drive/Fan .... placement of the grate probe is IMPORTANT ..... the internal temp was not really 185F .... instead, the grate probe was being shadowed by the ribs.

Name:	0FC5B3C5-AE56-49AC-90E6-2FE0FA0ACFF3.png
Views:	225
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	502562

Comment

Okay, so there were three mistakes made it turns out. Hopefully valuable for everyone else. Side note: I’m really glad I bought the Fireboard branded Auber (although Lonnie mac’s Pit Viper would probably work, too), because you need that ability to produce a lot of air on the WSM 22.5.

Mistakes I made today

1. I didn’t really let my fire/pit get stable
          2. I placed the grate probe (which is also the temp probe for the Drive) in a meat shadow
          3. I didn’t get the fan mounted well and half the fan opening was blocked, not aligned to the vent hole on the WSM

I chased temperatures for quite a while until I figured out the problem. Now I think I’m stable. Lesson learned

Name:	EA8D8177-1317-4809-A364-CF8101FC7026.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	502609

Comment

ecowper, Reflection and At Times Confessio, Are Good For "The Soul" and The BBQ, IMLTHOP‼️ I'm Still Learning My FireBoard and Temp Control W/ Fan Drive System❗️ My First Revelation Was
            That The Default Temp Probe Was #: 1❗️ Which I Use For Outside Air (Ambient) Temp's❗️ In Order Not to Have To Change Historical Data, It Was Easier To Change The Default Probe Setting,‼️
            "DONE NOW"❓❓ My 2 nd Revelation Came VIA lonnie mac and
            His Explanation of Porpotional Fan Control‼️ Open The Fan Gate Wide Open and Let FireBoard Do It's Thing‼️‼️ Dan

Comment

I seem to be getting the hang of the fireboard drive and fan finally.

Name:	EE387518-C2E5-47A1-8C32-3B258B6D4510.png
Views:	221
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	507215

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks good!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, I'd say you've got the hang of it, ecowper . Good job!

Kathryn

Looks good to me! What is the dealeo with the set point dropping to zero?

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I was actually doing that because I don’t have have the lid open time dialed in on the WSM yet

ecowper , I think your write up might be the most comprehensive ones I've seen. I am going to purchase one today. Did you end up getting a case for it? I was thinking about getting the 189 deal and adding on a 1" comp probe for thinner food. Do you have any thoughts?

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I never got a case. I just use a sandwich bag .... sorta like Lonnie mac's fancy holder on the wall :-) .... I think a comp probe would be great. I need to get my FIreboard upgraded so I can get the new probes.

ecowper thats it. I’m getting one! I have in my cart the $189 model, a 1” comp series probe, and a 3” comp series probe. I feel like this gives me a good mix/variety of probes to use for multiple meat types. Dont really feel like I need 2 ambient temp probes at this time. Do you see anything g wrong with my thought process?

Comment

• Kori
                Kori commented
                Editing a comment
                Were you reading my mind?!

• smn1285
                smn1285 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha oops! Maybe I should read all the way to the end 1st, huh? Haha, I got 1/2 way through your post and missed his answer. I was too excited and jumped right on the website. Ordering now!

Y'all will LOVE this thing. I can not count my cooks with the FB to date. I do use the ambient probes more than not on two different cookers at the same time to monitor different cookers. I may be monitoring the stick burner, and controlling the WSCGC with the fan at the same time.

Comment

• smn1285
                smn1285 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m sure the second I run 2 cookers at once I’ll cringe getting out my origianal temp probe.

Order placed, now I wait. I just wish it would get here before I put on 2 pork butts and a top round on Sunday night. Not happening tho. Oh well.

smn1285 after you run 2 cookers and 4 hunks of meat at once, you will never again use anything but the Fireboard

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen and amen. It's hands down the best tool I have in bbq. Along with a control fan, it makes smoking a breeze !!!

I searched Amazon looking for the Fireboard (I received a gift card at Christmas), but, I’ve been unable to find a Fireboard there. Are they only available through manufacturer?

Also would you all recommend getting the pit viper fan and cable?

Thanks for your time and patience with me.

Sweaty

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I would recommend the fan and cable. They only sell it directly. Bezos has enough money.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker thanks! Your right Amazon ain’t hurting I was trying to save a couple bucks. Well to the source I go.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I hear ya. The folks over at FB are great, you will like working with them. Sweaty Paul

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here