Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone stole my Maverick 732, what should I get to replace it with Bluetooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone stole my Maverick 732, what should I get to replace it with Bluetooth?

I've been keeping all my BBQ stuff in a big plastic tub at the bar since that's where I've been doing all my cooking lately. I was doing some oven cooking so I stopped by to grab my Maverick. I guess someone saw me cooking with it and tasted the results and wanted it, because it's gone now. Man, that thing was like $70, ouch. I bought it because it's what all you pros use and it got a big recommendation from Meathead.

I made some really spectacular food with it. Most recently I used it to cook the Thanksgiving turkeys correctly without drying them out. People said it was juicy and was the best they've had. But now that I have to buy another, I find myself wanting one with a bluetooth connection so I can get a fancy graph of time and temperature. I've looked at the reviews database but they seem to be from 2014 or so and I know a lot of new equipment has come out since then. I see the Smoke is the new kid on the block and would be my first choice, but it's more expensive than the Maverick and doesn't have bluetooth.

What?.... your maverick is lost in China? No way. I would get the same one again or an igrill2. Good luck. FYI, the maverick is still less expensive in my neck of the woods. I would get a safe and lock your bbq stuff in it along with your daily bar earnings

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, it's not my bar, just a friend's. He liked my BBQ so I brought all my stuff there and cook sometimes on Sundays. I get bar credit and practice, he gets great food for his customers. It's winter now anyway, nobody will come to my house for a cookout because it's too cold.

Maverick ET-735 and iGrill seem to be a couple of popular Bluetooth options. I'm not sure if Ivation makes a knockoff Maverick ET-735. They do make regular Maverick knockoffs that work pretty good.

Just remember that Bluetooth units typically do not have near the range/distance capabilities as the dedicated wireless units. You aren't going to be able to pick up a signal or walk as far away from the transmitter with a Bluetooth unit as you will be with a regular Mav.

Good luck. I assume you are going to order and pick it up during your trip back to the states.

Comment

• Lost in China
      Lost in China commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, headed back for Christmas so it's time to load up. Last time I bought like $400 worth of stuff.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Lost in China , in regards to the Smoke. They are coming out with another accessory for it in 2017 called Gateway. It is going to use wifi signal to link to your phone and an app on your phone. There is rumors it will include graphing. Check out Thermoworks website for more info.

I have the iGrill2 and really like it. SamsClub had a great price on it a while back. $78 and that included 4 probes.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I like mine, especially when I take the time to use it.

Lost in China, I recently, before Thanks Giving, received My FireBoard 6 Probe Wireless, iCloud Bluetooth Thermometer! I used it on the T'sG'g Bird! It is compatable with the iPhone and the iPad! You can name each Probe and set the alarms for each! This was a Kickstarter Project I Backed! For your info Meathead and AR gave it a Gold Rating Recently! You can find it at www.fireboard.com . It also has graphing capabilities! The people at RireBoard are Very Helpful and Service Orientated! I also have a Maverick 733, it's Great but Difficult to Set!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	250169Click image for larger version

Views:	89
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	250173Click image for larger version

Views:	74
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	250174Click image for larger version

Views:	86
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	250172Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	91
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	250170Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	95
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	250171
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; December 13, 2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      How much did it cost, Dan?

Thunder77, My original Pledge was $129.00 this included One Pit Probe and Two Food Probes, I added another Pit Probe and Two more Food Probes this brought my Total to $141.00 plus $12.++ Shipping! I believe if you go to www.fireboard.com You can get the current Retail Price! I suppose you will get beat up a little for Living in Calgary Aa!
    I hope this helps You!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not too bad.

I'd say Meater, but that's vaporware right now.

Comment

Another issue is the phone software. It's really easy to make a crap app which never gets updated. I hardly ever see any screenshots, interface reviews, etc.

I'm going to go with the Smoke. If it's getting an upgrade next year then it's worth it. I really like the Thermoworks brand. They don't just make crap consumer goods, they're a professional scientific measurement company. I'm also getting 4 RT600C handheld units to give as gifts so I save on shipping and put it all in the same order. They're only $16 right now so it was a no-brainer. Thanks for everyone's advice! I was leaning towards the Smoke anyway. The hint that the Gateway is coming out sealed the deal.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent choice!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here