Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good probes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good probes?

I've got a ThermoPro TP08 dual probe thermometer and I'm already on my second grill probe and this one appears to be on the fritz. It's currently registering 174, but if I stick my Thermopop through the top vent or crack the lid slightly and slide it in from the side I'm reading well over 300!

Are there better probes? Do I need to do something to prolong the life of them?

You could stick the probe end in a 350 degree oven for an hour or two. Might have some built up moisture.

Comment

I've had several probes go erratic on me, then straighten back up nicely after an hour in the oven at 400 F. Just the probes... Not the connectors!

Yes, someone here actually did that.

Seriously, they did.

I kid you not.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        and it wasn't me

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
      I've had several probes go erratic on me, then straighten back up nicely after an hour in the oven at 400 F. Just the probes... Not the connectors!

Yes, someone here actually did that.

Seriously, they did.

I kid you not.
      You don't have to air all my dirty laundry!!!

(just kidding, it wasn't me)

I did however bake my transmitters on low to dry them out because they wouldn't work and had water in the display. I cannot recommend this to anyone though.

Comment

I remember my Dad putting his wrist watch in a warm oven to dry out condensation under the glass. So when my GFs (now wife) watch fogged up I showed her this trick. Plastic lens. Oops. Still married me.

Transmitters should be done the same a phone. Sealed up in a bag of uncooked rice.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          She must have given you an A for effort! lol

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          She gave me something alright. Luckily I found a place to get a new lens.

It's had 90 mins at 400 and it the highest it registered is 293, so I'm guessing it's done for. Are the probes interchangeable? Does one company make particularly good probes? Are the Thermoworks probes for the smoke distinctly better?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsilverback View Post
          It's had 90 mins at 400 and it the highest it registered is 293, so I'm guessing it's done for. Are the probes interchangeable? Does one company make particularly good probes? Are the Thermoworks probes for the smoke distinctly better?
          Not all probes from different manufacturers are compatible with other thermos even when the connector jack is the same size.

As it turns out tho I just happen to have the Smoke and one of those ThermoPro TP08 type thermos. I say type because if you look on Amazon there are a few companies that sell that same thermo under different names. The only differences from the names are the colors of the cases.

I was curious, so to answer your question I fired up my Smoke and ThermoPro and the Smoke probes do work in the ThermoPro. The Smoke probes when inserted into the ThermoPro did read a couple degrees higher and the ThermPro probes when plugged into the Smoke did read a couple degrees lower.

So yes, the Smoke probes should work with your ThermoPro.

Comment

• Chiefsilverback
            Chiefsilverback commented
            Editing a comment
            That's excellent news! I'll probably pick up a Smoke next year, so I'll grab one of the probes for now... Thanks for checking!

Are you exposing the part of the probe where the wire comes in to the probe to water?

Comment

Hello Chiefsilverback,

If you are still having troubles please contact us through chat at www.itronicsmall.com for more information on how to fix this issue!

Dillon
            ThermoPro

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here