Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest MCS acquisition - Smoke has arrived.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest MCS acquisition - Smoke has arrived.

First impressions. Much sturdier than my Mav. Probes look better too. Turned on the receiver and it synced in after a few seconds automatically. There are some things missing that i liked on the Mav. The pop out stand on the receiver. Also, I cannot sit on the couch and adjust the alarms from the receiver.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	247358Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	247357

I hear you on the receiver stand, my single biggest con about it. I hadn't thought about not being able to adjust alarms from the receiver, good point. In the rare occasion I use the alarms on my Mavs, it's when I want to try to grab a nap midday of a big cook when I had gotten up early. Sometimes a last minute nap alarm adjustment is in order for me (my alarm thresholds get a little more lax the tireder I am). Minor complaints in the grand scheme of things I think. Congrats on the new acquisition!

Comment

Congratulations on your Smoke! The needle probe you got is great - fast reading and waterproof too.

Comment

W.A., Conrats on Your New Smoke! I hope you get all You expect from it! If it as good as My Themopen Classic, I have no doubt you will!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get one for Christmas. I have an old cheap metal stand for something-or-other. I keep wondering why I haven't thrown it out. Now I know. What unit are you going to use it on? I have some tight doors on my upright. It ruined an older model remote thermo (not thermoworks) so I picked up a Traeger remote, which I am using now. Still a tight fit through the door.

Comment

I didn't notice that there was no stand because I was so thrilled to find the strong magnets on the back. I just stick it to whichever smoker/grill is closest to the one I'm using for that cook. If you only have one smoker, I'd say it's time to ramp up your MCS.

Comment

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, gotcha. I guess I'm used to just having it in my pocket, since I seem to always be up and about. I'd rubber band it to the maverick receiver and use that as a stand. Or maybe fashion an aluminum foil base that will allow it to stand upright.

• Lost in China
              Lost in China commented
              Editing a comment
              Doesn't it melt the unit from the heat when attached by the magnet?

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't attach it to the smoker I'm using. I attach it to one of my other smokers next to it. Yes, I imagine you'd destroy it if you stuck it to the side of a smoker that was fired up.

You can make a stand on the cheap with some legos and super glue. Or folding a wire hanger into a stand...

Name:	12724.png
Views:	115
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	247798

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	247797

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Great minds!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here