Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lavatools Carbon Lite Bluetooth Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lavatools Carbon Lite Bluetooth Thermometer

This looks pretty neat. I might try this out.
    The Carbon LITE wireless Bluetooth thermometer is designed to help you to monitor and know when your food is ready – even when you’re away from the kitchen.

That thing looks pretty cool, and who couldn't use another thermometer.

Comment

I'd be wary of a bluetooth thermometer.

Comment

I've read about enough mess with bluetooth (along with Bill McGrath's explanation as to why they aren't always nice to have) and really rather not even be given one.

Comment

I know their Javelin works pretty awesome!

Comment

I like these. This would be cool. My only reservation would be the 2 in 1 probe. I love the concept, but.......on a brisket, for instance, it would be tough get an accurate ambient temp when the probe is hovering over the large flat. MaybeI suppose you could probe from the side too.

I use bluetooth a lot, with many different devices. I have always had pretty good luck with the technology. So whats the big fuss everyone has with Bluetooth. Just curious.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought the 2 in 1 probe was a good idea. Then you pointed out that you put the probe in the middle of the top of the brisket (Like I do) that would cause a false reading I'm pretty sure. ok on to the next thing...

I loke the concept! Plus the probe looks small enough to fit the KBQ. That's one gripe i have with the Thermoworks stuff, cant fit the darn probes in without drilling holes in KBQ

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm already past the point where I use them in the KBQ. I just know where I'm at, I guess. It just got to be too much of a hassle. But I still use them on my PBC and sometimes the KEG.

• smokinfatties
              smokinfatties commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah... I just use a thermapen and it works out, I am usually more focused on keeping temps lower since the convection fan speeds the cook up so much!

I have been working with Bluetooth almost since its inception. Automobile manufacturers adapted the technology to gadgets inside cars a long time ago and as an automotive technician we had to troubleshoot problems with Bluetooth devices and most of the time we found out that customer complaints with it were due to lack of knowledge from the customer trying to use it. It is certainly limited as far as capabilities are concerned but for the most part it is reliable. The biggest drawback trying to using a Bluetooth thermometer is the short range it has, if you move out of range with the receiver you loose the connection until you are back in range. The maker of this thermometer says it has a range of 115 feet, I would have to see that to believe it.
            Last edited by vandy; November 29, 2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably 115 feet with no obstructions. Throw a wall or two up and I bet the number drops substantially.

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              I am sure it is Dr ROK but I would still have to see that to believe it, most Bluetooth devices have about a 30 ft range with no obstructions.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here