Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke test

A little background first – When I first found out about Thermoworks I contacted them to see if there was a probe that could go through hole that the bimetal thermometer was in on my Big Green Egg. (Most of the probes were just a little too large) They did have one, so I replaced it with the ThermaQ digital thermometer. I also rotated the lid around so the thermocouple wire was at the back and out of the way. Later I added a DigiQ temperature controller and clipped the probe to the ThermaQ probe inside the lid.
    After joining the Pit Forum and people were taking about dome temperature vs grate temperature I became curious as to how much difference there is in my BGE. My thinking was with the kamado style grille the temperature should be fairly even throughout.
    Thanksgiving day cook and test. On the left, my DigiQ set to 350F with the probe moved to the grate level. Center my new Smoke with the probe at grate level about 2” from the other probe. And on the right the ThermaQ with the probe in the original position in the dome. As you can see the grate temperature and dome temperature are within 1 degree of each other, although the DigiQ registered a slightly higher temperature. This picture was taken about 2 hours into the cook, by the end of the cook all three were actually within 2 degrees of each other. 149 – 151.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	244541

You should try that test again when you're going full-out hot, like for a pizza cook. I would be interested to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know how high the probes are graded for, just be careful!!

Nice write up and good job. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

The probe on the ThermaQ is their industrial high temperature rated at 2012F (not the standard one that comes with the unit). I have had the BGE up to 850F according to this thermometer. But none of the other probes are rated high enough to compare.
      The new Smoke is rated for 572F. And the smokehouse penetration probe is rated for 662F.

Comment

Kevin Fuess Interesting. I found that my dome thermometer and my grate thermometer were often close as to their temp readings. For that reason I often don't bother with the grate thermometer when I am cooking at 225.

Comment

Thanks Kevin Fuess . Good information for us BGE users.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here