Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WiFi Thermometer / Saving Graphs for Temperature vs Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Thermometer / Saving Graphs for Temperature vs Time

I'm in the market for a new thermometer and I'm looking for one that will let me record a graph of the I/T (and grill temp?) over time - without spending $300+... I'm also interested in a thermometer that has WiFi functionality because (a) I think the Wifi function will allow me to monitor the thermometer beyond the range of RF (inside the house or even from Costco...) and (b) I'm assuming that a thermometer with WiFi connectivity will also have a decent app that will allow me to save time/temp graphs. Suggestions, please?

Has anyone used the ET-736 from Maverick? http://www.ichefthermometers.com/et-...g-thermometer/? I didn't see any mention of it in The Pit... I also couldn't tell if the ichef app for Maverick thermometers includes the functionality of saving time/temperature graphs - it doesn't look like it from the videos I've seen, but I may have missed some info that is out there... I also found it odd that the ET-736 appears to only have an Android app whereas the other iChef thermometers have an iOS app.

I see that the Thermoworks Smoke will have a wifi gateway in Spring 2017 and I'm considering waiting for that. Does anyone know if the Thermoworks App will include the functionality of saving temperature graphs? I've seen several software offerings from Thermoworks, so I'm guessing that the app they put out with the Smoke's WiFi gateway will have decent functionality.

I saw the iGrill 2 has a function to show temp/time graphs - but I read a review (that I can't find now...) that stated that the iGrill2's graph function required Bluetooth connectivity throughout the entire cook; if Bluetooth connectivity is lost, the graph re-starts from the time the connection is restored. Can anyone confirm that? I've read other reviews that seemed lukewarm at best regarding the iGrill2, so it's not on the top of my list. Anyone really *love* their iGrill2?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!!

Welcomes SoCalSurfin try this
    The FireBoard is a wifi-enabled digital thermometer designed to operate via your smartphone or through the web. Learn more today.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit SoCalSurfin! The Maverick ET-736 looks promising. Seems to be designed mostly for "roasting" and the pics lean toward indoor use..but it does say it's weather-resistant. I guess its use depends on how far outside your home's WiFi reaches, and maybe that's why they're pushing indoor use in their imaging so they don't disappoint the masses but instead pleasantly surprise a few. I assume any maker designing apps would design both Android and iOS, since they both are huge players in the market, but you're right, they only show Android currently. And, even thought they do not advertise graphing, all that would take is a future app update.

By the way, we'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

Comment

I use a Tappecue.

4 probes, wifi and graphing via importing a text file they send you into Excel. Only PITA is that it has to be plugged in for power although they may be selling a battery pack now.

It's expensive but less than your $300+ figure..

Comment

SoCalSurfin, As DWCowles said check out www.fireboard.com! This was a Kickstarter Project that I backed and received my FireBoard shortly before Thanksgiving! I used it to Monitor the TG'g Turkey with 6 Probes from the FireBoard! Temps and times were available from an Amazon Alexa Gen 2 Dot,
          an iPhone 5-s! Each Probe could have Min - Max Temps and Alarms Set from the iPhone! Further I was Impressed that Steven Customer Service @FireBoard contacted Me on Thanksgiving to see if I and the FireBoard were doing alright! You can see my Posts @PurdyBird by @Pit Boss's Sticky! I also Posted at Accessories!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	244728Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	244717Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	120
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	244718Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	244722Click image for larger version

Views:	106
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	244725Click image for larger version

Views:	112
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	244726Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	244727Click image for larger version

Views:	108
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	244723Click image for larger version

Views:	102
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	244720
          Attached Files

Comment

So, Danjohnston949 how do you like it so far?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr ROK, At this point I am with Minor Reservations, (because I've only completed One Turkey with it) Declaring the FireBoard a Winner! I am sure something will creep up but I have every Confidence in FireBoard to Solve It!
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr ROK, It takes Two Coments to Properly Answer You! As the FireBoard came the iPad App didn't work, I just received an Update? 👍Steve@FireBoardLLC contacted Me on T'sG'g to see if things were OK!👍
              👍Ted, Co Owner contacted me the Next Day!👍

@SoCalSurfin see this thread about the igrill2:

This app used to produce nice graphs, although I don't believe there was a way to save them. It no longer produces graphs that are useful, so saving is moot...

Comment

I'll also chime in to mention the Fireboard. I just got mine yesterday and I think I'm in love.

Haven't used it yet in a cook. Just charged it and set it up for WiFi and let it run for a few hours. I only had 4 probes plugged in of the 6 I got with it and all four of those were showing a temp within a couple tenths of a °F of each other.

The display graph is adequate and I really like that I can download the data for a cook to my pc. If I had to just keep my data on their server I wouldn't have bought the Fireboard.

The probes feel sturdy but time will tell if they hold up better or worse than other brands.

I also really like that the probe cables are 6 feet-ish long AND that you can buy 6 foot extension cables for the probes. That will be really useful when I'm running multiple cookers simultaneously. I wish the cable for my Smoke were that long.

I did have a problem setting it up but those problems were due to my phone and tablet. My phone still runs an older version of Android so the app wouldn't work there. My tablet is a Google Nexus 7 and the app loaded and ran but I could not see the Fireboard with that tablet. That is the fault of the Goole Nexus 7 hardware - it has issues with a lot of Bluetooth stuff. Fortunately, using my wife's iPad Air I was able to run the app on that and easily set it up for my router.

Fortunately you don't have to use an app on a phone or tablet to see your data. You can log into their website. My only concern with devices like the Fireboard is that if the company goes kaput the ability to use WiFi will die also since it relies on their cloud servers. So lets get people to buy these so they stay around for awhile.

I also like that the Fireboard has an auxiliary port that opens up other potential uses in the future. It will be able to control a blower fan so some folks might find that to be of use down the road. Also noteworthy is that I believe that the units are designed/assembled in the USA. Not sure where they source their probes tho (China?) but as I mentioned they do at least feel better made than many others I have used.

Of course being a new entry into the market there is no longevity data on the Fireboard but it seems that the crew behind the device know what they are doing and certainly intended to make a quality device so I feel comfortable in that regard. I would also like to add that this is the only Kickstarter project of the few dozen I've participated in that not only delivered on time but EARLY! So kudos to the Fireboard team for that!

Comment

Danjohnston949 and Histrix - do either of you know if the Fireboard probes are interchangeable with Thermoworks probes?

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are not.

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ron B, I defer to Histrix, I am not Sure but I am Willing to Wager He Is!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here