Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoQ measurement problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoQ measurement problems

I have a ThermoQ, Chef Alarm, and ThermoPop, all great products. For meats I use the High temp smokehouse probe. That's the pretty long one with a 90 degree bend. I smoke in my Weber kettle with a slow n sear. I have pretty good luck with something like a pork shoulder where the probe is almost completely inserted into the meat. The trouble has been with whole chickens or like today with a whole turkey. The meter says the meat is say 150. when I poke a round with the instant read it's 30 degrees below that. So I move the big probe till I hit a cold spot then close the cooker and keep going. Then I get the same problem again, rinse repeat. Like today. After three rounds of this I pulled the bird off the cooker and again the instant read told me some of the breast was undercooked. I gave up and just boiled the whole damned thing to make a soup out of. No biggie this was just a trail bird not like a ruined meal plan or anything. I assume the probe stuck out in the open air is conducting heat down the probe giving a false high reading at the probe tip. So that's the question(s).
    Has anyone else battled this problem? If so how do you deal with it? Is there a method of probe placement that I am getting wrong? Is a different probe more suitable to foods that have a more shallow center? Is there something else to this problem that I am not considering?

You guys have always been great. Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you plutting the probe in perpendicular to the breast, or along the length of the breast. I normally insert the probe in the "fat" end of the breast and push it into the thickest part of the meat parallel to the breast bone. This is my favorite probe. And this probe is next on my list.

Comment

With the bird spatchocked and laid flat on the grill bones down I have tried the probe stuck into the breast pointed up vertical toward the top of the cooker and I have tried entering the breast horizontal from the thin end of the breast toward the fat end and I have tried entering from the fat end toward the thin. I have tried every which way with the same resulting problem. I am using this probe: http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-177
      thanks for the reply.

Comment

It is beyond me why they have food probes long enough to measure a first down, with a 90 degree bend to make it even more of a pain to mess with.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 20, 2016, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Check to see if the cable is loose where it enters the spring end of the probe. I had one do the same thing, and it was because that cable wasn't connected any more. It was just loose inside the spring. Replaced the cable and the new one hasn't had a problem and I got back to normal temperatures.

Jim

Comment

I think I will try one of the shorter probes like the ones RonB posted. I even tried to insert the long probe and my instant to roughly the same point until they reached roughly the same temp measurement and still ended up with the same result after another 30mins in the cooker. That is why I think the long probe that is 75% exposed is heating up an giving a false reading. Unless someone can refute that reasoning it seems possible to me. Thanks all.
            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
              That is why I think the long probe that is 75% exposed is heating up an giving a false reading. Unless someone can refute that reasoning it seems possible to me. Thanks all.
              ​​
              That is interesting. I've not had issues with my long straight probes. But when measuring cold products such as hearts, livers or gizzards at work. You have to slide them onto the probe until the tip is covered, and you can see those parts you have already slid onto the probe slowly affecting the tip temperature without being near the tip at all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here