Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Thermometer Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Thermometer Test

Oven set @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or so. I would say 3 very different readings. All are ambient temp probes. I thought they would be closer. What the heck? Interesting none the less.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	241318Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	241317

Lets say its your oven that is off. With Smoke being the newest we can assume it to be closest to correct. That makes the Ready Check off by 4 and the other one off by 6. That's not bad at all for home cooking.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      This is true...I didn't expect the oven to be off by 20+/- degrees. I was hoping the others would be at least a little closer though. Considering each is $60.00 to $100.00.

They are most likely all three correct. Home oven temps are all over the place on the inside, with hot spots and cool spots everywhere. The difference of less than 10* among those is actually pretty good.

This was actually a "magic trick" in the 1700s and 1800s. The magician had a trick oven where one corner was much cooler than the rest. He/she would climb in, they would roast a bird in the oven and the magician would emerged unscathed. There is a great book, now out of print, about all these types of oddities: Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women, by the esteemed Ricky Jay.

Comment

Next test will be an ice bath. Results to follow.

Comment

Those probes are too far apart. I have to tie mine together to get accurate readings in any smoker. I've had them off by 30 degrees with just a few inches of separation, then tie together and get exact or a 1-2 degree difference at the most.

Comment

• troymeister
          troymeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I never would have suspected that. Thinking about it makes sense.

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Air currents, position of heating element, etc. can readily cause a few degrees of variation.

I'm betting on the smoke...

Ovens vary wildly in their accuracy, and they may cycle 20* to 30* above and below the set temp.If one of you thermometers saves the min/max temps, let the oven heat up with the probe in the oven - wait at least 30 min. Then reset the thermo and let the oven cycle a few times to get the max and min temps. The "set" temp for the oven should be right in the middle. If your oven needs adjustment, you can probably find directions for your model online.

Comment

Much happier with these results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3132.PNG
Views:	151
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	241343Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	241344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3131.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	241345

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin' goooood. I have to have someone calibrate a thermometer for me in ice water every single day I go to work.

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Just curious, why is that?

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            I take food safety temp's throughout the day with Critical Limits of 40.0 F, 55.0 F, and 46.0 F. The fact someone else does it validates it. And if the temp's aren't right, I make mention of that validation in my report.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here