Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard - Did anybody receive theirs yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard - Did anybody receive theirs yet?

I got an email from FireBoard on 11/1 saying that they were going to start shipping by the end of last week. I haven't heard anything further. Did anybody here receive theirs yet?

Dewesq55, Like You I have been expecting It or Further Word, Nada?
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

As luck would have it, after posting this, I received an update from FireBoard that they did, in fact, begin shipping last week and they expect it all to be completed within 2 more weeks.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55, I Recieved an eMail telling me I would recieve my FireBoard late this coming week! My Customer (Order?) No. is 62!
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I got mine last night. Had a little trouble getting it connected but eventually succeeded. Seems really cool. I'm excited to try it out.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can See My Post on the FireBoard on My Post "My Lucky Week"

Bill McGrath and I have completed testing the FireBoard (actually I am still testing battery life and low temp functionality) and we have posted the review here

As you can see I am very impressed (I wrote the review, Bill's byline is hardwired in there). I think it sets a new standard. Very cool tool.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead, I am Glad You and Bill rate the FireBoard as High as I did! I am only one Thanksgiving Turkey in So Far! I am Not Very "Tech Savvy" but Steve@Fireboard and Ted (Owner FireBoard) both followed up to See How I was Doing! On T G'g Weekend!

So what happens if you lose your WiFi connectivity during the cook?? Does it delete all information or just save what you have thus far?

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure it retains the data on the unit itself and will resync the data when connectivity is restored.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Crap, your no MCS help......

dang it MCS kicking in...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        No joke. I just dodged a super expensive dog purchase.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard - I'll have another litter of purebred Rhodesian Ridgebacks in about a year! They have Champ bloodlines and I think I can teach them to be KCBS judges. They always tell me when it's time to check on the meat.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        @tobob4 too big. Thank goodness, if I can't pronounce the name I can't afford it.

I've had my FireBoard for a couple weeks now and it has been great so far. I give it two thumbs up.

I'm looking forward to the future possibilities that the auxiliary port of the FireBoard will afford. They asked us backers on their Kickstarter back in September what capabilities we'd like to see first for the auxiliary port and if I remember correctly most of us mentioned fan control.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Histrix, Potkettleblack, I asked for thee Wxproof Case! I just commented on Meathead's Post Aboveboard! If I still had to Shake the Mercury Down in the Vial based on their Cust Support I would buy It! They are for Real!

Mine has been here since Thanksgiving week. I have not done anything more than ten minutes on the grill since then, but seems legit.

Comment

I've had one for a couple of weeks now. My take is it's a great thermo for long cooks, especially if I want to monitor multiple meats or if I want to log data. I REALLY like the data logging capabilities. I tried turning my phone off a few times. When I booted it back up the app would sync with the Fireboard OR the cloud and all the data was there.

With the iGrill2 you lose data if your device isn't synced and in range. Not good.

The cons aren't bad. The Fireboard battery is good for about 24 hours of use, so you'll need to recharge fairly often. You also have to wait for it to boot up, then you have to sync it with your device. That's a pain compared to just turning on my Smoke, ChefAlarm, or DOT.

I see myself using the Fireboard for long cooks and cooks where I want to keep the data, especially when I want to leave home.

I'll keep using the Smoke, ChefAlarm, and DOT for short cooks or if I am hanging around the house and don't care about data logging.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you retired your Mavericks?

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          I think they are in "drawer retirement"

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine are in a plastic grocery bag and haven't been used in months.The Mavs are still a great budget solution if you need a remote receiver. But there are better thermos out there now if you can spend more.

What I want is something I can put in a turkey breast that I can then seal, sous vide, and read the temperature. A small, wireless probe.

This looks bangin'. But I can't justify $200 for something that does what I already have several devices doing, only this one is prettier. Believe me, if I needed another remote, though, this would be the one. But I don't, so it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
          What I want is something I can put in a turkey breast that I can then seal, sous vide, and read the temperature. A small, wireless probe.

This looks bangin'. But I can't justify $200 for something that does what I already have several devices doing, only this one is prettier. Believe me, if I needed another remote, though, this would be the one. But I don't, so it isn't.
          Thermoworks waterproof needle probe combined with their sous vide tape is just what you need! It's not wireless, but the tape makes the bag waterproof if you insert the needle through the tape.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Another option for the tape is this http://polyscienceculinary.com/products/foam-tape

which is also quite a bit cheaper. You can also take an existing probe and make it waterproof by laying it in a bead of silicone caulk. Not as elegant looking but will do the job.

Does the fireboard plan on having a waterproof probe? I brew all-grain and it would be cool if I could just leave the probe in the grain in the cooler. I know thermorworks has one, but I am intrigued by the fireboard.

Comment

Originally posted by MSU Spartans View Post
            Does the fireboard plan on having a waterproof probe? I brew all-grain and it would be cool if I could just leave the probe in the grain in the cooler. I know thermorworks has one, but I am intrigued by the fireboard.
            At the moment they only sell the current two probe styles. I have no idea if they plan on offering other probes in the future. Wouldn't hurt to ask/suggest it to them tho.

I've used aquarium or food safe silicone caulk to waterproof probes before. Just lay a one or two foot (or longer if you want to sheath the entire cable) long thick bead down and then press the probe and cable into the bead and let it cure. It won't be the prettiest looking thing but will work fine.

Best to do that on a surface like glass where you can use a razor blade to liberate it from the surface. Or just wiping a thin film of olive oil or the like on formica surface or whatever.

Comment

I like the idea of having one single device I can plug 4 or 5 probes into, but I can see some frustration if the cables are loose. Anyone with a KBQ ever add a port to feed probes through?

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                I will be drilling holes in my KBQ shortly so I can feed my FireBoard probes thru. I'm probably going to be using stainless steel cable glands but haven't decided on all the details just yet - size, how many, location.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here