Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks first run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks first run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20161030_105453_216.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	235164 Had the first cook today with the Smoke digital, and it was flawless! I always want a longer connectivity range, but it did well. If I could change anything about the thermometer, is that I would prefer the meat probe to be straight, rather than L-shaped. I ripped the rubber grommet that I had placed in the hole where the probe wires feed into the smoker. Not much smoke comes out of that hole, but I put my hands in the pocket of my sweatshirt, standing there wondering if I had a replacement, and I had a couple earplugs from work in there. The earplugs are the type you squish, and then put in your ear canal. Well, the bell went off in my head, and sure enough, I squished an earplug, and stuffed it into the hole. The earplug expanded, and filled the hole like a dream! It fills the hole, and keeps the probe cables from moving anywhere while I fidget with the smoker. I can honestly say, I never thought I would Google: "What is the melting point of earplugs?" Well, at 350F, it was still just fine.

Oh, by the way, I was cooking up the wet-cure ham from Meatheads recipe. It turned out super, but a tad salty for my liking. The cut of meat wasn't a ham. I used a large pork-butt. The recipe is not in error, I altered the meat cut, and the thickness wasn't a large as a ham cut. I will soak in water the night before and it will be superb! I'm going to try to put up a pic, but I haven't had much luck doing that.

Sorry, I'm still trying to find a fix for this: Image upload failed because the extension of this file did not match the content.

The ham pic died a horrible data corrupting death.
    Last edited by Shane Rakow; October 30, 2016, 08:26 PM.

Make any tiny edit to your picture. Then re-save it, and re-upload it. Glad you like the Smoke!

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskee, that did the trick! Unfortunately, my ham pic died.

On my Android phone I crop it a little, save it, then it will load.

I too hate those 3 meter long curved meat probes. When I finally get a data logger I will NOT have anything close to that for food probe.

I've gotten pretty ticked at work and my earplugs never melted.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 30, 2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

ta tsael 6 srahc
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Tricorder.jpg Views:	1 Size:	244.7 KB ID:	235195

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Beam me up, Scotty.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      "He's dead Jim. You get his tri-corder, and I'll check his wallet." :-P

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yah Yah, But What's the Temp? From Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Instead of ear plugs, give Sugru a try perhaps. Also, look into probe port options. My new Yoder came with these threaded probe ports, and as you tighten them down, a nylon sleeve tightens onto the cable. Pretty damn slick really, and I know you can order them from Yoder. If you need, I can get pics tonight and post.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply, Payn! I'll check those out.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here