Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Thermometers

Ok, So I have a custom reverse flow pit. Let's be clear, I ain't drilling into it for a mod. Not gonna happen . Ever. I have read about bi-metal thermometers being inaccurate. I have what is called a River Country bi-metal(similar to the tru-temp) to read air temp in my pit. I can't use my maverick because it will crimp the cable when I close the main cooking door. So, is there a digital air temp read thermo that can fit into the main chamber like a bi-metal read? That would be awesome if so and I would buy it post haste. Suggestions?

Unless the door is very massive, most of us just close the door on the cable. They are designed to work that way. BBQ is not the only use for them, they are also designed to work with your home oven which doesn't have any holes. If you don't want to do that, you could always just remove the bi-metal and use that hole. Some people, not me, use the stack hole.

Comment

Thanks! I'll crimp it then. I thought that was a no-no on side box smokers. I appreciate it!

Comment

PH, I have a Lang and I used the Maverick also and I just closed the door on the cables easy and had no problems.

Comment

PL, could you remove the bimetal thermometer and put your cable through that hole that is in your door? just a thought.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Or exactly what mgaretz said.

• Pork Lord
            Pork Lord commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great idea and then run it down and clip it to the grate. I just need to find a grommet that will stand up to weather and heat. Not sure what material is appropriate.

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            You could tape the back side and use a High Temp silicone to fill the threaded hole and either insert a straw to make the proper size hole or drill it after it cures. If that doesn't work you could peel it back out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiresundersmokerlid.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	23394 I've been shutting my Yoder door on my wires for over 2.5 years and haven't had one wire fail yet. Just use caution each time and shut gently, which I'm sure you would anyway since 1/4" steel lids are heavy. NEVER drill into that sweet Irene!
          Last edited by Huskee; October 4, 2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            : 0 : ) .....

• Pork Lord
            Pork Lord commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the support. I won't and this eases my doubts about doing it completely.

OK, tell me why you wouldn't drill a hole or multiple holes in your 1/4" armor plating Stick Burners? Is it just because the thickness of the metal? or does it affect your unit and the way it runs?

Comment

Well, the same reason I wouldn't drill a hole in my truck. I find it's not necessary, and I just don't have the heart to do it. I don't even do it in my Weber kettle, I just go under the lid on it too.

Comment

Man, I drill holes in my truck all the time. I guess that comes from all my years as a machinist and welder. I just didn't want to mess up the performance of the grill. The money bag for the Stick Burner fund is slowly growing.

Comment

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee that's because I am older than dirt and have been around since Mobey was a minnow! Which was about three days after they invented Dirt!!

• Gunderich_1
                Gunderich_1 commented
                Editing a comment
                And not only that Huskee, he can walk on water and make the water that he walks on.....

Marauderer I'm wagering you were in the Nav when Christ was a mess cook?

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                Error: Please enter a message with at least 10 characters

There is no way that I will drill a hole in my baby. I notice that the people that cook with stick burners in bbq competition also shut the door on the wires.

Comment

Hhmmm, there is something here that is telling me not to talk about this anymore

Comment

Drill a hole, insert a grommet. Custom makers such as Gator Pit will install them.

Comment

Comment

Those are neat Jon. I have used them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                        Drill a hole, insert a grommet. Custom makers such as Gator Pit will install them.
                        Gator Pit has a neat web site and offers a lot of services as well as new pits.

Comment

• smarkley
                          smarkley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          wow... lots of pits with some really nice features. Thanks Barry

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here