Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABCBBQ Dave's video review of the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atalanta
    replied
    Not sure which is next on my list, SnS or a dual-probe thermometer.

Leave a comment:

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    That really is quite variable thing that will be specific to ones particular circumstance. How many walls, bookshelves, garage doors, etc. are in the path?

Just like any of the currently available models - some folks have no problems while others have lots of problems.

• Kevin Fuess
    replied
    I bought my Smoke this morning - then though to ask about the "300' line of sight" in the spec. I was told that, yes, walls will have some effect on the signal dependent on the thickness and makeup of the wall, but in the 50- 75' range I expect to use it it would not be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    I really enjoyed the review, Pit Boss! Looks like something I might have to talk to Santa about!

It was really good to see Baby Back Maniac on here, as well! I just love his videos!

>>(Something that I never give up easy)<<:

He's about as silly as I am, and that's quite an accomplishment!

Leave a comment:

• TallTrees
    commented on 's reply
    I thought the same exact thing. Would have been nice to have seen that, and how well they each dealt with interference.

• Histrix
    replied
    Nice overview!

One quibble I have with the review is the distance test. Clearfield, line of sight testing is kind of meaningless for most of us.

I would have preferred they just take the receiver of each unit and go on the opposite side of the house (front yard?) to see how well each unit can "punch thru" the walls of a house.

Leave a comment:

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    Since the Smoke transmitter is &quot;paired&quot; with its receiver there should be no problem with running multiple Smoke transmitters simultaneously.

• Huskee
    replied
    I like what I see. I'm especially pleased the replacement probes (including waterproof) aren't as pricey as I thought they'd be. Very similar to Mav's prices which I'm long used to.

My Smoke wishlist:
    • Kickstand for the receiver (Like the Mav has) so I can line them up on the counter for quick glances from a distance
    • I'd like to know about multi-unit non interference so I can run 2, 3 or 4 units on large cooks w/o signal "cross contamination".
    • Wifi sounds great, but for me personally isn't a deal breaker w/o it, just nice to see it coming as an option (I was gonna ask about it until I read that it's coming in 2017)
    • I'd like to see a 4-probe unit soon.
    • More colors (which I'm sure is coming, T-works is the color king!)

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Great points! I share many of the same. Maverick batteries never die, even when I regularly leave mine on for 2 days after a cook before noticing.

• boftx
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info! Cable length of only 47&quot; might be workable. And it looks like it takes standard AA batteries.

• TallTrees
    commented on 's reply
    Ah, interesting. I haven't tried squeezing the DOT into the ChefAlarm case. I think I'll give it a shot in a few minutes. Good idea!

• FireMan
    replied
    Muchos gracias you two. Mo' betta looks good to me. Now l have to feed my MCS. It's needed of course!

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    I accidentally got my ThermoWorks needle probe over a raging SnS a few days ago and it is seared, so while I was ordering a replacement, Smoke also jumped into my cart.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    I have the exact same setup. I like how the DOT can be squeezed into the ChefAlarm case along with two probes and a grate clip. Makes the case very handy.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! I think you'll like Smoke very much.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here