Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABCBBQ Dave's video review of the Thermoworks Smoke thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TallTrees
    replied
    Thanks for the great review. I just ordered a Smoke, to go along with my ThermaPen, ChefAlarm and Dot. I'd previously looked at the Maverick, but have always like the TheraWorks product. Look forward to using the Smoke.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Very good review. Since I lost the receiver for my Maverick, I will be looking with interest at this one. I like the simplicity of the settings. That has always been a beef for me with the Maverick. Not intuitive at all. I love Thermoworks products, so I would pay the 99 bucks for it.
    Last edited by Thunder77; October 2, 2016, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Those are good probes.

• Darchie03
    commented on 's reply
    boftx, It uses the same probes as the DOT & some other Thermoworks units.

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by boftx View Post
    Good review.

I saw the email came across and it looks interesting. But my big question are replacement probes available there the equivalent of the "combo meat/air" probe for the Mav? That combo probe is just perfect for leading in thru various point in my smokers other than the cook door, which risks crimping the lead. Unfortunately, the right angle probe won't make it thru my favorite path.

Also, how easy is it to obtain replacement probes, and how much are they?

And with rumors of a WiFi version, I want to see what that is like. Ideally the transmitter will have a built-in web server so a dedicated app on your computer/phone is not needed.

Last is battery life. My Mav has OUTSTANDING battery life! What is the Smoke like?

Based on what we know right now, I feel no compulsion to try the Smoke yet, but will keep my eye on developments.
    Replacement probes can be found here. Most are $16. The high temp straight penetration probe is the one you'll be interested in. My personal favorite is the "Waterproof Needle Probe". It reads temps as fast as a Thermopop!

My understanding is the wifi is an add on for this thermometer and not a separate version.

I've been using the Smoke over a week and have left it on overnight. Batteries are still going strong. The base unit even has a button for turning off RF transmission to even further increase battery life.

The Mav ET-732 is still a great thermometer and will serve you well. The next time you're in the market though you should give Smoke a look.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Thanks for the great review, Gentlemen!

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    replied
    Great review! Anxious to see what all will happen with the WiFi adapter when it comes out.

Christmas list UPDATED!

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    Good review.

I saw the email came across and it looks interesting. But my big question are replacement probes available there the equivalent of the "combo meat/air" probe for the Mav? That combo probe is just perfect for leading in thru various point in my smokers other than the cook door, which risks crimping the lead. Unfortunately, the right angle probe won't make it thru my favorite path.

Also, how easy is it to obtain replacement probes, and how much are they?

And with rumors of a WiFi version, I want to see what that is like. Ideally the transmitter will have a built-in web server so a dedicated app on your computer/phone is not needed.

Last is battery life. My Mav has OUTSTANDING battery life! What is the Smoke like?

Based on what we know right now, I feel no compulsion to try the Smoke yet, but will keep my eye on developments.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    Thanks for the great review! I'll have to have a number of ChefAlarm and DOT failures to "need" the Smoke, and I seriously doubt I'll have failures anytime soon as they're so reliable, so getting a Smoke will be because of the remote capability. The good news is that all the probes I've got (several used & new) will work with the Smoke.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanx for the good review.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Oooooooooooh you can legitimately monitor two smokers with high and low alarms for each.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    wifi is coming to the Smoke Thermometer.

• DWCowles
    replied
    It will be awhile before I will be purchasing the Smoke since I still have eight new thermometers still in the box.

Leave a comment:

• jlazar
    replied
    Still looking for a good one with wifi capability at a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• AZRedneck
    replied
    Good review David Parrish and Baby Back Maniac. I'm gonna stick with the MAV for now, but my next one will be the Smoke for sure!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here