Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke by Thermoworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ozzie It's right on the Smoke product page. Click on the "More Info" link and it is shown there. MSRP of $89. So...$89+$99=$188.

I was wrong - the Fireboard is $189 so actually $1 more. I misremembered and thought the Smoke Wifi add-on was also $99.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 4.43.03 PM.png
Views:	138
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	332529

Comment

• Ozzie
      Ozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      Histrix thanks. Smells like strategic pricing!

• TheGrizMan
      TheGrizMan commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks cool... a little pricey, but cool nonetheless.

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the FireBorad myself Yes I got it for the wifi!! ( the maverick couldn't reach up into my bedroom so no overnight cooks) Surprised that the Bluetooth did reach my bedroom. but additionally the FB has 6 ports!! Thats what sold me over the smoke.

Reading through these comments, there seems to be a lot of love for ThermoWorks and Smoke. I cannot disagree with said admiration for the company. That said, I just used Smoke for the first time the other day, side by side with the Maverick ET-732. Quality is superior from the ThermoWorks, no doubt, and ease of hi/low settings, too.

However, in my opinion (at the risk of being run out of town), where the Maverick takes the nod is set up. With the Maverick, you set the alarms (albeit every time I set it, I have to refer back to the instructions for a refresher) on the receiver, the part that is with you. ThermoWorks has this beautiful design with the big buttons, ease of use, little kick stand, and magnet... and it must be tethered to the meat/grill. The piece that travels with you, offers a lanyard only to go around the neck... not really interested in that with a toddler hanging off of me. I feel the design on the Smoke is reversed - I needn't anything special for the thermometer transmitter tethered to the grill, showing me the temps and a stand, I'm good. Give me those bells and whistles, and alarm setting on the receiver, the part that travels with me where I go around the house. That magnet functionality on the Smoke is useless to me being tethered to the grill, because outside of the grill itself, I have no magnetic things, and the grills get too hot for me to want to risk affixing the monitor to it. However, if all that was on the receiver (alarm setting, magnet, stand), I could put it on the fridge out the reach of the toddler, or on the mantle next to the TV while I'm watching the game for regular looking at the temps... agh, just such a great product that would be FLAWLESS, in my opinion, if they reversed the transmitter/receiver set-up. In this one aspect, Maverick ET-732 gets it. In my book, it's a big one, for consumer satisfaction.

Hopefully in future models, ThermoWorks Smoke will make that swap? Heck, maybe they'll catch wind of this critique, make the swap, and send me one for free to trial!! Ha ha, one can only hope, right!?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree with you. Too lazy to look up, but I may have shared that very same beef with the poor design of the receiver in this thread, if not then it's in another similar one. I am not a 'Smoke-ends-all' person.

• TheGrizMan
      TheGrizMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, admittedly, I did not read every post in this thread, it's a bit long. Glad I'm not alone in this thought process.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      I use and love the Smoke. I agree that the receiver should have all the settings. It seems odd that the company set it up that way. It's almost like the thought most people wouldn't use the receiver even though that's the reason you would buy it.

Very interesting comments on the design TheGrizMan, I didn't think of it, but you make very good points.

I guess the gateway will help with this, given that the app allows for setting alarms too. We'll see. But the main (grill) unit should definitely be swapped for the receiver.

I recently bought the Fireboard though, and although I love it, my main issue with it is that the main unit is so small/light that even attaching two of their super-sturdy temp probes makes it wobble about. The temp probes weigh more than the main unit. So in that case the main unit is too small or doesn't weigh enough... Either way, the will release some kind of case with a kickstand and a magnet too, I really need to buy that.

It sure seems to be hard to make a thermometer that suits all

Comment

I for one like the Smoke's transmitter, although it's overkill for a transmitter for sure, it's nice. The magnets are a great touch. One topple off the table though and the kickstand is done (my current situation). IMO the receiver needs to have the alarm controls, and needs the kickstand & magnets, and definitely should not have a rounded bottom.

My perfect thermometer if I were an engineer and patents didn't matter: Smoke's transmitter, Maverick 732's receiver with dedicated alarm buttons like Smoke, and a strong magnet, and 4 probes, and wireless home network connectivity between xmitter & receiver with an app if you choose to use it but not mandatory if you don't, and not needing another $100 device for wireless, it should be built in. Avail in multiple colors like Maverick. I'm not into graphing so to me that feature doesn't matter.

Comment

TheGrizMan , I agree with you also. I can't remember how many times I misplaced the Smoke receiver because I put it down somewhere, because of the no clip thing. (Although I have to say that I find the Maverick clips fairly cheesy) Another thing I don't like is the alarm. Having to silence both alarms is a pain. That said, I still prefer the Smoke, because in all my use of Thermoworks products, I have yet to replace a single probe. I had to replace a few Maverick probes. Also, the Smoke probes are longer than the stock Maverick probes, giving you a bit more versatility. The quality construction and the easy setup make the Smoke my choice.
        Last edited by Thunder77; June 14, 2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I have the Maverick 733 and a Smoke. I've avoided this thread because I hate the Maverick so much... I exiled it to a far-away drawer somewhere when my pre-ordered Smoke arrived. Perhaps I'll dig it out again if I ever need to find a suggested cooking temp for a Bigfoot, or need more torture by having to read the poorly-written instruction sheet for the hundredth time to set my temps.

The range of the Maverick is much better than the Smoke. Other than that, the Smoke dominates all other aspects of what I demand from such a device.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Feelin' Dat!

Using my Smoke for the first time today, and I love it.

Assuming that accuracy among devices is equal, I give Smoke the advantage for big display and strong magnet. The receiver, I put it on the table, it doesn't matter to me but I could see where that would bother some people.

As far as ease of setup, every freakin' time I use the Maverick I have to look up the instructions. The Smoke? I picked it up, turned it on, set the high and low alarms, and never looked at it again.

Comment

Gave my Maverick to my son to use as soon as the Smoke showed up. Had it not taken an advanced engineering degree to program the Maverick, I would have never even looked that the Smoke or other contenders.

Perhaps when the long, promised gateway and app for the Smoke finally arrives, it will deal with some of the slightly annoying features like having to silence the alarms in both places, etc.

Since I have a Smoke and a ThermaPen Mk4, I get lots and lots of emails from ThermoWorks. As I have watched these go by, it seems to me that they more "Open Box" sales than any other company out there. It makes me wonder if that many people buy their products and then return them because they are faulty? Or do they have someone at their warehouse that sneaks around in the dead of the night opening boxes so that the company is forced to sell them as "Open Box"? Just wondering...

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              You can disable the audible alarm on the transmitter if you don't want it on. The good news is the gateway will be avail very soon. Someone who tests things for us might be testing one now, but sssh keep that between us!

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              In my opinion they tote a very high speed warranty. I have the older classic model and bent the probe one day being a dummy. I was tempted to return it. For them they would probably just give me a new one and straighten or replace the needle because that is easier and sell it as open box.

• Porterdriver
              Porterdriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Update!!!!!! I am finally in possession of my Smoke Gateway. Have used it on a few cooks now and have not used the Receiver since. I was getting frustrated waiting for the Gateway but I do like it now that it is here. The initial setup of the Gateway, actually took a little thought and effort to setup but not bad at all, plus it's a one time deal.
              I'm a happy man.

Weber Kettle Alterations for Thermoworks Smoke..... brand new here, sorry I know this must have been covered but I can't find the thread. I am new to having a kettle much less still awaiting my Smoke which I have ordered. What is the best advice for the wires..... fish down the top vent, drill holes, etc ?? Thanks for any help.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to The Pit. Hold tight - Dan Johnston will be along shortly with a list of mods.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I just go under the lid, always have.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here, I just go under the lid. But I have also glued a self-adhesive gasket to my lid. I guess it helps with wear and tear.

Welcome to the Pit C-Mac

Comment

C-Mac - Here is a link to some of the mods I have done. I thought I was done when I made this post, but it turned out I wasn't.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...dding-my-weber

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here