Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 probes

Okay, now that I've got the WSM 22.5 I anticipate some cooks where I'll have big hunks of meat on top and bottom grates. I'll need a probe on each grate and a probe in the meat on each grate.

I currently use (and love) a Maverick ET732. Question is, should I just get another? Or is there a good 4 probe digital out there?

ecowper - I have the iGrill2. It has room for four probes. One would be on the main cooking grate and give you average pit temp. Then you'd have 3 left over for cooks on your various levels. The iGrill2 works quite well for me and I find it much more intuitive to use than the Maverick. After getting the iGrill2, i gave my Maverick away and I've never looked back.

Comment

ecowper I can't speak for the iGrill2 even though I have two of them. The only ones that I used is the Maverick and had have no problems with them so my answer to your question will be get another Maverick.

Comment

• gregtr1
        gregtr1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you know if there is any problem with two Maverick transmitters, two receivers and two sets of probes getting confused with each other when using all of them during the same cook?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        gregtr1 I have used as many as 4 at one time and never had them to get confused with each other

• gregtr1
        gregtr1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I've been thinking about getting another one, but was afraid that might be a problem.

Another option you might want to consider is the Tappecue - http://www.tappecue.com/

Comment

• billg71
        billg71 commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 for the Tappecue.

ecowper ... I have the Maverick ET-735. It's Bluetooth so I track the 4 probes on my iPhone or iPad. I love it but no one seems to like it here in the Pit.😡

Comment

Here's another option if you can wait a bit:

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL...A lot of people here in the Pit has been waiting almost an year on it

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in and out on the meater like three times, eventually settling for out. They were very dodgy about SV use, and I don't like backing things from people who are evasive.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks cool, but I was kinda hoping for something I could buy today :-)

I can second the iGrill2. Although Bluetooth and not WiFi so need line of sight

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll third the iGrill2. Weber service is hard to beat.

The drawback to Bluetooth is that I am often out front and my cookers are out back.

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Tappecue is wifi and links through the Internet so you can go shopping and know how your temps are doing. For Sunday cooks I'll get the cooker dialed in then run errands for an hour or two. Works really well!

I have had the iGrill2 for a few months now and so far like it. A couple times I thought I may have had some reported issues but it was just the traeger doing its sweeping temperature swings it does. The bluetooth has been great. I definitely get the distance advertised throughout my whole house. I have only had one time it did not reconnect but that was easy fix and you get all data. I only say this because it does get bashed a lot of forums and i don't have those issues. I guess will see in future.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
          The drawback to Bluetooth is that I am often out front and my cookers are out back.

Agreed. Bluetooth can be janky for a lot of folks. That's why I mentioned the Tappecue. It uses WiFi rather than Bluetooth which for most folks provide better access to the info.

Can't check temps from the office when using Bluetooth thermos.

Comment

tell me... how many probes do you see?
            Attached Files

Comment

short term, you can try the iGrill2 and see if it works in front of the house. Buy it someplace you can return easily (like Amazon). Or go for tappecue (which costs more but has wifi).

In a few years I am sure there will be more wifi options but pretty limited right now

Comment

I am disappointed that there seems to only be one good WiFi thermometer out there, regardless of the number of probes. At this point, I am tempted to just get another Maverick ET-732.

Comment

I was just considering the same issue. Didn't want a Bluetooth device. Best option appeared to be a tappecue. But I couldn't justify the price difference compared to a second Mav 732. So I bought the 2nd Mav that came with an extra 6ft probe,

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, $200 for the Tappecue seems a bit pricey.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  $239 with the color coded enhanced probes.

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah .... That didn't help

I think once you start looking at the Tappecue it would make more sense to me to go ahead and spend a bit more and get a pit controller like the Flame Boss 200. You don't have to use the blower fan if you don't actually need or want to but if you decide later on that you do want to use a pit controller for those long or overnight cooks you've already got the capability.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here