Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probes through foil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probes through foil

Does inserting a temp probe into meat wrapped in foil effect the accuracy? Does the hole allow significant evaporation?

Since the tip is where the temp is read, and it's in the meat, I would say no effect. I don't think that the space around the probe hole would let much air/moisture out. You could always wrap some foil around the probe at the hole to tighten things up. I've only had probes thru foil when in the cambro (I've never used the crutch). I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.

Comment

Never had any issues.

Comment

In a word … NO! and NO!

Comment

I probe through foil all the time.

Comment

Just make sure the probe tip stays in the meat and does not perforate the foil on the bottom. Many an excellent au jus has been lost that way.

Kathryn

Comment

LOL! This happened to me while trying the brisket recipe here! I saw a flood of liquid go into droppings pail and my heart sunk seeing that.

I did find hot spots or maybe i just hit liquid or something in that brisket cook putting through foil but will chok it to noob trying it for first time. But in general worked good for me but i dont use foil that much in cook so take that for what its worth.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here