Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoPop Vs. Thermapen - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoPop Vs. Thermapen - is it worth it?

Is the Thermapen really worth an extra $80 over the ThermoPop? Call me ignorant, but the ThermoPop was given a gold rating here, so to me that means it gives accurate temp readings. What could be more important that that? What could be worth $80 more than that? If yall wouldn't mind schooling me on what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.

It is and it isn't. I used just the T-pop for a couple years. Then I decided to buy the pen. Honestly, I reach for the pen now that I have it, it's quicker and a little handier. Is it worth the extra price? That's a personal choice I guess. The Mark4 T-pen has some nice features like auto-rotating screen, and auto backlight. That's a nice perk I will admit. The T-pop has those features, just not auto.

Comment

JPGators17, I use the T-pop as I could not afford the price difference I also have 2 of their DOT units & all 3 read within a degree of each other. Thermapen seems nice but I can't justify the price.

Comment

I give out Thermopop's to clients as a gift, they love it. most backyarders use feel or cut into meat to judge temp... they dont know what they are missing and the Pop changes their lives!

if you want to look like the guys on HGTV or whatever channel plays cooking shows, spend the extra money for the Pen, but if its not in your budget, the Pop is a perfectly fine, excellent model for backyard use.

Disclosure: I do have the Pen as well. only because they ran an open box sale on their old units before they launched the new one and i got it for pennies on the dollar. watch the Pit for someone to post an open box sale and pick one up then!

Comment

I'm partial to the RT600C-N myself, indoors.

My Thermapen was a gift. It stays by the pits b/c the automatic backlight is a must on night cooks.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
            Powersmoke_80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang you sure get a lot of nice gifts.

JPGators17 ... When I joined the Pit I had a Taylor meat thermometer that I had used for a couple of years. You can buy them at Lowes for about $20. They are slower than the Thermapen products but it worked for me. After joining the Pit I got a case of the MCS affliction that's permeated many Pit members and I had to upgrade to the Thermapen. You might be getting MCS too. Gadget buying is the first symptom. Next it will be cookers.

Comment

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what MCS stands for, but it sounds like I'm definitely coming down with it. Thanks.

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            JPGators17 MCS- More Cooker Syndrome, that also leeches itself onto More Accessories as well.

I have the T-pop and am very pleased with it. I do not have a Pen. I guess the Pop reads a second or two slower and maybe slightly less accurate. I cannot wear a mitten when using the Pop. It's too clumsy. If I'm checking the temp of a steak when it is directly over the coals, the bare hands can get quite hot. the So just move the steak. The Pen may be a little longer so you are not quite so close to the heat. Personally I'm glad I did not spend the extra bucks.

Comment

I hate my Thermopop and never use it anymore. Thermapens are great (I have a couple of the older models) but I also have a few Lavatools Javelins and a Javelin Pro and I think they are just as good. The Lavatools Javelin sells for a few bucks less than a Thermopop. Anyone thinking about getting a Thermopop or Thermapen should take a look at the Lavatools thermos.

Comment

• EPH
              EPH commented
              Editing a comment
              Curious, Histrix -- what didn't you like about the T-Pop? I've had good success with mine, but I realize that mileage varies, etc...

I have both and always reach for the thermopen. The cost difference is a bit much for the benefits but I also have MCS so I could'nt help myself. I do like the rotating display, backlight, and quicker readings.

Comment

I have 2 thermapens...worth every penny! Seems like a lot when you pull the trigger, but, that fades after you see the true difference when compared to other "instant reads".

Comment

I've never used the ThermoPop. I do, however have a ThermaPen and I wouldn't trade for it. As for the price differential versus features and benefits, only you can make that determination.

Comment

I should mention the Thermapen Mk4's auto-rotating screen is helpful if you're a lefty. The classic T-pen will be upside down if you're a lefty, unless you finagle it awkwardly.

Comment

Well...a few things come to mind. The speed is amazing (~2-3 sec vs ~5-6 for the Pop)...a real boon if checking lots of things. And it's a bit more accurate. (±0.7° vs ±1.8° at food temps)

The display is huge for a handheld, so easier/faster to read regardless of the light. Auto backlight is great.

Even better IMO, auto-shutoff! Set it down, it goes to sleep...pick up and it's ready.
                    It's also waterproof so cleanup is a breeze. (Though the Pop is splashproof.)

​When I was a working chef I always carried a thermometer in a sleeve pocket. The Pen would NEVER fit there...but I don't wear my coats anymore (unless I'm goofing around) so that's a non-issue. But it IS significantly larger & heavier than the Pop. But with no buttons...it's also simple to use when wearing gloves.

Is all that worth four times the price..? IDK...
                    For ME, it was and I don't regret spending for the Pen AT ALL. I've given away the Pops and those getting them have been happy. Part of that comes from them never having used a "real" thermometer I'm sure. LOL

Either one would serve you well.
                    Last edited by surfdog; July 7, 2016, 02:26 PM. Reason: Corrected non-issue from none issue. mmm autocorrect.

Comment

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh...and I only provided those numbers because I had some ThermoWorks propaganda on my desk. LOL I don't work for them, with them, or have any connection to them whatsoever...other than I have several of their products.
                      Last edited by surfdog; July 7, 2016, 02:15 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling on ThermoWorks. derp

The Pop is great. I keep several around and give them away as gifts.

I LOVE THE Mk4 ThermaPen. I loved my original Thermapen, but the auto rotate, auto backlit, and auto shutoff/turn on are FABULOUS!

Also, get the glow in the dark neoprene sheath with the magnets!!!!

Now, I have a pair of glorious Red Thermapen Mk4's on my fridge at all times...well, except when they are outside by the cookers, or magneticaly on the microwave right above the stovetop when I'm cooking indoors.

Thermapens are a game-changer for me. I haven't overcooked a steak in a while (about 2 years)!

If you want to save the extra $60, then get the Pop and put the Pen on your Christmas list.

Enjoy!

Comment

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, forgot to mention that magnetic glow-in-the-dark cover! Excellent accessory!
                      I also have the leather case...but it mostly just sits there unloved. LOL (I can't remember that last time the Pen was in it.)

Thanks for all of the input. You have succeeded in making me completely confident in the ThermoPop's ability, and in making me REALLY want the Thermapen, but without justifying the price. haha!

How often do open box sales occur? How and where do I keep an eye out for them?

Comment

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As pittkappasig said, the Trio is worth it. Excellent little tool. You might want to add that to the growing list of toys.

• vandy
                      vandy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The termopen MK4 is 20 percent of right now if the sale is still going on. It was one of those 48 hour sales so it might be over but you might want to check it out to find out if you can get the deal.

• JPGators17
                      JPGators17 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I saw the 20% sale, but fought the urge since I just got my ThermoPop. I'm going to stick with just that for now and add a Thermapen to the collection probably by the time the next sale rolls around.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here