Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Et 733 vs 732

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Et 733 vs 732

Hello Meathead et al,
    I am debating between the 732 and 733...leaning toward the -2 because I like simplicity and the 47 meats on the -3 look kinda silly to me, the important stuff mainly being equal. Anyway, does anybody know whether you can use two pointy probes on the -2, or does it have to be one pointy and a blunt one?

The ET-732 accepts only 1 food probe (pointy) and 1 air temp probe (blunt). The ET-733 accepts 1 food and 1 air or 2 foods or 2 airs.
    Last edited by fuzzydaddy; May 19, 2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Kindly disagree, they actually can accept either. They're labeled Food and BBQ, but they're interchangeable. You can even put the blunt probe in meat, I do it all the time when the shorter probe is more convenient.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      My error then. I looked at their website specs and got it wrong.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Fuzzydaddy I love the pic in your signature!

I use two pointy hybrids on my 32.

Comment

You can use either probes on either. The probe shape is only the shape of the metal- the sensors, wires and plugs are all the same.

I agree with you that the 733's display is too busy. I don't need my display to say BEEF all day long when I'm cooking a brisket, I know what I'm cooking and what temps I'm shooting for. I think the 733 would be great for someone just starting out, where that info being displayed (target temp, alarms...) is a handy reference to alleviate a stressful first couple cooks.

Comment

I also use pointy hybrids with 6' leads on my 732. I gifted a friend of mine with a 733 to go with a new smoker and included two spare probes and clips along with it. I like my 732 better now that I've tried both, but my friend likes the 733 (not having ever used a 732).

One thing I highly advise, always have two spare probes and grate clips on hand, a probe will fail at the worst time and you probably won't notice that it is reading 30 degrees or so off from where it should be. (Take my word on this, I'm a software engineer and a philosophy major so you can just assume I'm right and not have to come to the same conclusion from your own evidence.)

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, Bigfoot appears blurry because he has very little hair and is therefore incredibly cold. To compensate for this he can shiver at incredible speeds, which causes what little hair he has to be in constant motion and produce both the blur and a more full appearance.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          boftx Makes sense. Moving on, why do you drive in parkways, park in driveways, and can you even fathom a world with no hypothetical situations?

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee the driveway/parkway issue exists so that female drivers (a contradiction in terms itself) have a reasonable chance of surviving. As for the last question, every software engineer does that when he says his code is bug free.

I'm home sick from work I shivered like crap last night and trust me that doesn't give me big feet.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod, you're from Louisiana, don't you have your own version of Bigfoot? 😜

• ribeyeguy
          ribeyeguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Amos Moses?

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 Lousyanna also claims to have BBQ brisket, doesn't mean it's real, though.

Thank you all very much for your help. Think I will go with the 732.

Comment

The one big advantage the ET-733 has over the 732 is when you are setting the temperature. If you overshoot the temp while setting the 732, you have to go all the way around again to get back to where you want it. The 733 lets you back up quickly. Maybe the new 732's have updated programming that works like the 733. My 732 doesn't.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          And set your low before you set your hi.

Big Maple, I own a 733 and my only complaint Todate is you have to be a Computer Programer to Set it! I am Not! So about 90% of the Time it reads Beef and I am cooking Pork? The other minor B--ch I have is the lack of Reels for Probe Storage! This would be the same for either one! On the Plus side It is still functioning on the original batteries over 1 Yr! Hopes this helps you, I don''t think you can make a bad Choice!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here