Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermaQ BBQ this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermaQ BBQ this weekend.

So I decided to roll with this ThermaQ after reading some of the reviews of the other popular thermometers on this site. Im hoping this will help me out with a BBQ Im doing this weekend. I'm going to try my hand at some Memphis style dry rub ribs on my Weber and SnS. Hopefully it turns out better than my first cook last week (NY strips turned out bad). BBQ'ing is def. an art and I have a long way to go as a newbie.

I love my ThermaQ!

Comment

Originally posted by scottranda View Post
      I love my ThermaQ!
      Ditto! I want to buy a 2nd one.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought a dot as my second one. Then I bought a CyberQ which has four probes...

RonB how do you like your CyberQ? Any regrets?

Comment

I don't (yet) have a ThermaQ. Had to pause purchases for a while, but I really like my ChefAlarms & Dots, and Thermapen! Congrats DawgsFan34 on the ThermaQ.

Comment

kenrobin - I just got it last week. Ran a short 2 hr test and it became very steady. I've done one cook with it, and again it became very steady where I wanted it - less than a 10* swing. However, it took me a while to get it steady at the right temp. I suspect that it will just take a few cooks for me to get a handle on getting it to settle down quickly.

I managed to get it working on my PC, but from what I read, android phones may not work with it, so you may not be able to control it with your android phone.

I did d/l the Pit Pal app for my phone, but I haven't gotten that to work yet, but I have only messed with it one time for a short while. I guess I'm going to have to break down and read the directions...

Comment

I wish I had a ThermaQ to love.

Hoping a Maverick like unit is on the horizon.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd love a Thermoworks wireless, like the Mav. But I fear what it would cost to only be 2 degrees more accurate.....

I LOVE my ThermaQs! Bought one after having used their Thermapen...loved it so decided I needed another. (Two grills/smokers...but it's easy to justify when one lives alone. LOL) Those things, and the probes, are darn near bulletproof.

So now I have two ThermaQs, a Mk4 Thermapen and a their IRgun. (Gotta get that pizza stone to the correct temp right? Right..? LOL)

​Anyway, I'm certain it will serve you well. Fine choice.

Comment

Originally posted by kenrobin View Post
              RonB how do you like your CyberQ? Any regrets?
              I've had my CyberQ WiFi for close to 2 years now. Love it. I can go to bed and leave the cook going with confidence. I use the Pit Pal app and it will alert me if temps spike or drop below threshold. Last Sunday I put 3 Butts on the Kamado at 11:00 pm, got up - checked the temps, went and played 2 hours of soccer and by the time I got home they were just coming out of the stall - all without lifting the lid a single time.

Comment

So I am an idiot, and didnt realize that you had to buy the probes separately, so my ThermaQ is here with no probes :-(

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is why they have kits.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aww man! Bum deal. I'd have probably done the same so don't feel bad!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhh - but it's cheaper that way.

Anyone have any suggestions on monitoring my grill temp since I dont have the probes I dont have an oven thermometer. But I still have to do the ribs tomorrow regardless.

Comment

Dawgs, I did the exact same thing last weekend. Truly a sad day when I figured out probes were not included, especially since I had a long cook the next day. Thermoworks was super cool about it, gave me the kit price when I admitted it was my mistake. Apparently, it happens quite a bit.

Sounds like you are going to have to go old school for your ribs. As long as you keep your fire low, and try to get it somewhere near the sweets spot, low-mid 200's. I would give it a couple hours and do the bend test with some tongs.

Comment

Man, without a thermometer, I'm going to go with adrenaline BBQs recommend vent settings for 225 and cross my fingers lol. I'll probably let them go for about 7 1/2 hrs to be sure

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here