Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different temps same cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different temps same cooker

I've got some ribs in my PBC and so I just let both probes from my Maverick ET-732 hang rather than put one in the meat. They've been holding steady for 30 minutes now about 25-30 degrees apart. They are at same height but hanging off different rebar. Thoughts? Or do I just need to put them in an ice bath tomorrow? If they are not correct can you calibrate the Maverick?

Thanks in advance. Here is a pic of the temps.

I'm going to bet they are correct. I'm looking forward to hearing your test results.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I've only been smoking meats four about 6 months. Could the temp be that different 6 inches apart?

I guess will put the in some ice water tomorrow and follow up with what I find out.

Jerod Broussard - has said that the side of the barrel closest to the bottom vent will run hotter early in the cook. Later in the cook, the side of the barrel farthest from the bottom vent will run hotter. Is this consistent with the measurements that you posted?

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Thanks for that info. I'm only an hour in and yes the hotter one is closer to the front. I'm just amazed something so small can fluctuate like that.

I can't speak for the Pit Barrel but last weekend I cooked up a couple of slabs of SLC ribs in the kettle with SnS. When they were cold they barely fit. I had part of one rib leaning up on the grab handle for the grate which elevated that part of the rib about 1-2 inches off the grate. After 2 hours I decided to move the ribs around (glad I did) and that part was noticeably more cooked than the rest of the slab. By this time they had shrunk down enough that I had room for them. I know Huskee had said that when he used a hover grill in the kettle he noticed temps were a LOT higher at that elevation. My recent experience ratifies his observation.

In short, I don't think your temperature variation is at all strange.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't know how people learned to do this before this site came around. You all are just a treasure trove of knowledge. I'm taking everyone's advice and not worrying about it too much.

The Pit Barrel is pretty consistent top to bottom, but around various parts in the barrel it can vary unless you have plenty meat filling that dude up.

Even then, there is a progressive burn to the basket. That is how it maintains a pretty consistent temp over the course of a cook.

If I have briskets I will hang the shorter ones closest to the vent. If I have a point that was cut off I will hang that.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Good information. Thanks.

Hang them as close together as you can to see how close they are. If they are close, that will answer your question. If they are close, I'd move them around to find the hot spots.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I may do that. In all my past cooks I've had one probe in the meat so I was just getting a reading from one spot. I guess ignorance was bliss. Thanks.

I wouldn't fuss over trying to diagnose the apparent difference during the current cook. Too much lid-off time and you can really lose control of the PBC temp. I'd wait until a later date and do the probe comparison in the kitchen oven instead.

Comment

Get DWCowels to use all his temp gadgets to look into this. Could be interesting? I would bet that the weber kettles are even more uneven especially in cold weather. Ever touch the outside of your cooker in different areas or shoot it with an infrared gun?

Comment

Every cooker I've ever had had uneven longitudinal temperature profiles. Hot spots are a fact of life. Hot spots are dictated by airflow and airflow within a cooker can vary widely based on wind direction, time of day, how a fire spreads, etc. I'd say your probes are accurate, but to test them I'd test them against boiling water. Please DO NOT let your probes touch the bottom of the pan of boiling water. That's a very quick way to toast your probe. Don't ask how I know this bit of trivia!

Comment

Obi-Dan, I have no advice or opinion whatsoever, I just wanted to let you know that your profile picture rocks!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
            Obi-Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I keep meaning to change it but everyone likes it. When I first become a Pit Member I was at work and it was the only picture I had. We did a silly event fundraiser at work so clearly I had to dress up like Batman.

So I opened it up to do a bend test (not quite there) and moved the probes to the same rebar. They now read within one degree. Guess I need to get to know my PBC better. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Comment

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            Obi-Dan - relax! You ARE getting to know your PBC! How do you think we discover hot spots in out various cookers? Experience! We've all been there. You're asking the right questions.

Originally posted by Obi-Dan View Post
          Guess I need to get to know my PBC better.
          Long walks on the beach will help. Well, you walk, the PBC rolls. Wear the mask.

Comment

You didn't say what kind of ribs you're cooking. If they are pork back ribs with a lot of loin meat attached (like the ones I find at Costco) that loin meat can interfere with the bend test. The good news is that if there is enough loin meat to interfere, there's enough to probe with a fast instant read thermometer. If that's the case, then I will cook until the loin meat IT is at LEAST 190 deg. F ... more likely 195 before crossing fingers and pulling.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
              Obi-Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              St. Louis Spares from Costco. I should be posting pics soon. Thats good to know about the back ribs.

I noticed the same thing last week in my PBC with my 733 probes. One meat and one the blunt tip smoker probe. When I brought them in the house the were almost reading the same.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought only DWCowles had 733 different probes....

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              😂 Huskee the " Torturer"

So I wrapped the other two for travel when I remembered to take a pic. They look, smell, and feel great. I used the cherry rub from Simply Marvelous. Gave it this color. Should know taste in about half an hour. Thanks for all the knowledge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here