Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The wife said "NO MORE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to have several thermometers for all the cookers you got👍. This could be the beginning of another Dateline episode?

Comment

Nice selection of thermometers... I recently bought a Lavatools Javelin PRO for $50. Really enjoy it, and with the performance about on par with the Thermapen Mk4 it is a good value.

Happy Collecting

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

DWCowles, you are my hero! I didn't think anyone buy meathead had more BBQ gear than I did. #YouWin

I don't have that many thermometers at the moment...I did give 2-3 of them away to friends, in my defense.

Let's compare knife pictures next!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          PaulstheRibList, it we start showing knives I'll go ahead and concede defeat. I only have 3 cheap ones, though this is an area where purchases might go quicker.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Go shopping fuzzydaddy !!

"Got to have several thermometers for all the cookers you got. This could be the beginning of another Dateline episode?"

Or 48 Hours maybe?

Comment

• Fine Swine
          Fine Swine commented
          Editing a comment
          Stabbed with an MK-4

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          The wife on the back deck by the stick burner while he was concentrating on a temperature reading.

I'm struggling to understand the issue here... Seems very reasonable to me....

Comment

I'm laughing so hard, snot is coming from my nose... AWESOME!

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          You should take your temperature. Do YOU have a thermometer?

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          lolololol

Showed the pic to my wife. She looked at it, looked at me and said NO!

She also agreed with everything fzxdoc said.

Her name is Imelda.

Comment

She's right but don't tell her that.

Comment

My wife it gone for a few hours...may be time for a Knife Collection Picture!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8399.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	161819
            Here's what I have on hand. From Right to left,

Wusthof's on the right! More on them below.

Next, a couple of fishing filet knives. The leather canvas knife is a J. Marttini, and my daddy used this knife as long as I can remember. Which means, of course, that I absolutely love this knife!

Moving left, I have 2 Japanese style knives, which are great and fun. They come super sharp and hold an edge well. I just resharpened the left one, which I gave to my BBQ Apprentice, and it's wicked sharp.

Continuing left, are the Economy Knives for trimming Ribs, butts, and brisket. The Victorinox is the standard bearer in this field, and the Dexter are the Working Class - cheap, easy to clean, and they can sharpen well. (I had more Dexter's and Victorinox's but have shared them with others. Plus, if you drop one while out on a field cook, it's no biggie. Dropping a Wusthof on my driveway would not be as fun. At all. I just bought a couple of others, a Mercer to try out, and a Backup Victorinox.

The white knife in the middle of them is an Update Carbon Steel, my first foray into the Carbon Steel world. I hear that carbon steel is harder and will hold an edge longer. That sounds wonderful. My next big brisket prep will be the test. How many briskets can I trim and the knife stay wonderfully sharp.

On the Far Left are the Brisket Slicers. My first was the 12" Dexter, which worked very well. Then, I don't remember where, I heard someone mention the 14" Wusthof slicer. I looked, which nearly immediately went to buying, and the lord of #BrisketSword what born. What a knife! #BrisketSword is back in the Wusthof collection. I've now got a 2nd one, which is at my apprentice's house. Since the Wusthof's are pricey, I purchased some cheaper ones, from Victorinox and Mercer, which I haven't used yet. Anticipate using them on off-site slicing. Don't want a helper dropping #BrisketSword.

Moving toward the back, the Hell's Handle large Spatula's are Fantastic! Big and strong enough to pick up a whole brisket on their own. A must for me! The wooden one just past them is big and works great for being $6 on amazon.

Love the shears! I had 2 pairs of XOXO's, and apparently swapped the halves after cleaning, and trying to use them with the wrong pair ruined both pairs! So I am trying the Victorinox set, works great, and another set I haven't used.

Of course...3 Thermapen's for me, one Pink Thermpop for the wife. She loves it!

On the top right is a new toy a friend gave me. a two handle round slicer. I can't wait to try it on slicing pulled pork! And below here are lots of Wusthof knife guards, an absolute must.

Name:	IMG_8406.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	161820
            And a little closeup on the Tridents, as our Beloved Meathead calls them. The newest edition is the Flexible Boning Knife, the top Wustof in this pic. It's very flexible, wickedly sharp and holding its edge very nicely. I love all these knives! The big chef knife, I've totally worn the Trident off of it. The 7" Santoku is the best knife I own in my hand. Light, fun and feels great!

Whew!

Ok, I confess...I'm jonesing for a custom knife! I should probably get back to work now, pay for all this stuff...

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              Editing a comment
              Oh, and I just rememberd: I need to get the Steak knives from Meathead!

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice selection of knives you have there. I have a few that is in your pic just not as many PaulstheRibList

• BigBear
              BigBear commented
              Editing a comment
              Truly amazing! I am speechless.

Oh, and the knives are now my almost constant companions in the BBQPic world. Star of the show...you guessed it:

#BrisketSword

Name:	ta3KwRcCef4bDqw-b-aSfcbt6Pvo83h80bskH01iEEI8w5oQAFKZTOI6nwPDddXsWHOuh0V719UTCaFPKi05cuDSmB2accIHHHbSBDo-n1OP9vkqZXI0DGlLN2sh_yUj5Y43Agk3YTDVHt6AjIprIs5Ci1gERp0unrTf5ncuLdiPl_e3A-r1V2YVvFsHixNYEaFk_DgJXJ7DeRYZ5egRhqT5F5m5a3W1wd0gjuWmR6uRxkazoW-XQ-0N-PoPVEr
Views:	103
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	161822

Comment

You really do need more thermometers...One can not afford to get the wife sick...You got to be sure not to dry the meat! So use them all I say...Same thing go with tools...You just have to have a metric crescent wrench as well as an american one😀.

Name:	IMG_3993.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	161833
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            Dang, she said I can"t buy no more thermometers...I guess I better hide the other two iGrills2 that's on their way [ATTACH=CONFIG]n161394[/ATTACH]

Every time I see this pic I count another thermometer that I missed the last time...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here