Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maverick Probe Reads LLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick Probe Reads LLL

One of my Maverick probes is reading LLL when I plug it in. It is definitely the probe, not the Maverick. Does anybody know if this is a correctable problem?

Put the probe in a 400 F oven for 2 hrs...this will dry out the moisture that has gotten in the probe unless the probe itself has gone totally bad.

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, DW. I have one that I need to do this with.
      -- Ed

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't work on mine. I guess it's fried. I ordered a new one on Amazon.

• BigBear
      BigBear commented
      Editing a comment
      Just make sure you put the probe only in the oven, not the plastic plug in connector. I know a dumba*s that put the whole thing in the oven. Cost me $33 to replace them!

Yep to DWCowles. You can even put it on your cooking grate while cooking and the heat will dry it out enough to resurrect it. I've even used a wonky probe and had it begin working midway into a cook.

Comment

Thanks Huskee and DWCowles. I fired up my now modded new offset to do a dry run and try to tune my tuning plates. Only having one working probe has put a damper (no pun intended) on that, but I am playing with temp control and am having pretty good luck, so far. It took a LONG time to come to heat using a bricquet mud-pan fuse system, but once it did, I cut down the stack damper to about 1/3 open and it dropped down from 230 to 225 and has been holding within a degree or 2 for about an hour so far. Meanwhile, I have the wonky probe baking in a 400 indoor oven.

Comment

If you have any type of metal bowl, such as water pan from another smoker, I find it helpful to put a bowl of charcoal in the cooking chamber on the initial preheat to help get things up to temp quicker, especially in cold weather. Sounds like you've got a great handle on your new rig so far!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great idea. Thanks. I am pleasantly surprised, nearly shocked, to find that the dial thermometer mounted in the box is nearly dead on with my maverick. Certainly close enough that I can use it as a reasonable guide in a pinch.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; April 25, 2016, 04:04 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here